1.3.5 Engine Front Cover (Lower)
DETROIT DIESEL 53
3. Thread two 3/8"-16 pilot studs approximately 8"
long into two diametrically opposite bolt holes in the
cylinder block to guide the cover in place
4. Apply a light coat of cup grease to the lip of the
oil seal. Slide the engine front cover over the oil seal
expander and pilot studs, Push the cover forward until
the inner rotor of the oil pump contacts the pump drive
gear on the crankshaft. Rotate the crankshaft slightly to
align the teeth, then push the cover up against the
gasket and block. Do not force the cover.
5. Remove the oil seal expander and pilot studs.
6. Refer to Fig:. 1 and install the 3/8"-16 bolts and
lock washers. Tighten the bolts to 30-35 lb-ft torque.
7. Affix new gasket to the elbow on a 6V-engine.
Attach the elbow to the front cover with bolts and lock
washers. Tighten the bolts to 13-17 lb-ft torque.
8. Affix a new oil pan gasket to the bottom of the
cylinder block; then secure the oil pan to the block with
bolts and lock washers. Tighten the bolts to 13-17 lb-ft
reassure regulator valve and oil cooler by-pass valve as
outlined in Sections 4.1.1 and 4.4.
9. Install the crankshaft pulley as outlined in
Install Engine Front Cover
1. Affix a new cover gasket to the cylinder block.
10. Refer to Lubricating Oil Specifications in
Section 13.3 and refill the crankcase to the proper level
2. Install oil seal expander J 7454 over the front
on the dipstick.
end of the crankshaft.
1972 General Motors Corp.