1.5 Flywheel Housing
DETROIT DIESEL 53
size seal) or J 21278 (oversize seal) on the end of the
crankshaft. Also thread two pilot studs
J 7540 into the cylinder block to guide the housing in
6. With the housing suitably supported, position it
over the crankshaft and up against the cylinder block
rear end plate and gasket(s).
7. Install all of the flywheel housing bolts, lock
washers, flat washers and copper washers in their
proper location -finger tight only.
8. Start at No. 4 on a right-hand rotation engine
and draw the bolts up snug in the sequence shown in
Install Flywheel Housing
1. Lubricate the gear train teeth with clean engine
2. Affix a new flywheel housing gasket to the rear
face of the cylinder block rear end plate engines employ
two gaskets (one large and one small). Affix the small
(7/8" dia.} gasket near the top of the end plate.
3. If the flywheel housing has an integral cast hub,
install a flywheel housing-to-end plate shim (.015" thick).
Use grease to affix the shim to the cylinder block rear
end plate (Fig. 2).
4. Coat the lip of the crankshaft oil seal lightly with
grease or vegetable shortening. Do not scratch or nick
the sealing edge of the oil seal.
5. To pilot the oil seal on the crankshaft
Fig. 3. Flywheel Housing Bolt Tightening Sequence
successfully, use oil seal expander J 9769 (standard
(Operation 1)--6V (Engine
1970 General Motors Corp.