1.6 Piston and Piston Rings
DETROIT DIESEL 53
Fig. 6. - Location of Joint in Piston Pin Bushings
2. Place the piston assembly in the fixture and insert
the pilot end of the reamer J 4970-4 through the
clamping bar, bushings and into the guide bushing
3. With the piston, fixture and reamer in alignment,
tighten the wing nuts securely.
4. Ream the bushings by turning the reamer in a
Fig. 5. - Removing or Installing Piston Pin Bushings
2. Place the piston on the fixture so that the spacer
protrudes into the bushing bore.
3. Insert the installer J 4972-2 in a bushing, then
position the bushing and installer over the lower bushing
NOTE: Locate the joint in the
bushing toward the bottom of the
piston (Fig. 6).
4. Insert the handle J 1513-2 in the bushing installer
and drive the bushing in until it bottoms on the spacer.
5. Install the second bushing in the same manner.
Ream Bushings in Piston
Fig. 7. - Reaming Piston Pin Bushings
1. Clamp the reaming fixture J 5273 in a vise (Fig. 7),
then insert the guide bushing J 4970-5 in the fixture and
secure It with the set screw.
1972 General Motors Corp