DETROIT DIESEL 53
Gear Train and Timing 1.7.1
16. Install the injector as outlined in Section 2.1.1.
10. Scribe a line on the crankshaft pulley in line with the
Then, refer to Section 14 and adjust the exhaust valve
end of the pointer.
clearance and time the fuel injector.
11. Slowly turn the crankshaft, opposite the direction of
17. Turn the crankshaft, in the direction of rotation, until
rotation, until the indicator hand stops moving.
the exhaust valves in the cylinder selected are
completely open. Reinstall the dial indicator so the
12. Continue to turn the crankshaft, opposite the
indicator spindle rests on the top of the injector follower.
direction of rotation, until the indicator starts to move
Then, set the indicator on zero. Next turn the crankshaft
again. Now set the indicator on zero and continue to
slowly, in the direction of rotation, until the center mark
turn the crankshaft until the indicator reading is 010".
on the pulley is in line with the pointer.
13. Scribe the second line on the crankshaft pulley in
18. Check the front end of the camshaft for an
line with the end of the pointer.
identification mark. For identification purposes, a letter
"V" is stamped on each end of a low velocity camshafts
14. Scribe a third line on the pulley half way between
the first two lines. This is top dead center.
Note the indicator reading and compare it with the
NOTE: If the crankshaft pulley retaining
dimensions listed in Table 1,
bolt loosened up, tighten it to the torque
19. Remove the dial indicator; also remove the pointer
specified in Section 1.0.
attached to the front of the engine.
15. Remove the dial indicator and rod from the engine.
20. Install the valve rocker cover.
1972 General Motors Corp.
SEC. 1.7.1 Page 5