DETROIT DIESEL 53
Camshaft and Bearings 1.7.2
Fig. 8. - Camshaft and Balance Shaft Details and Relative Location of Parts
6. Secure the thrust washers in place as shown in Fig.
Assemble and Install Camshaft
2. and tighten the bolts to 30-35 Ib-ft torque.
Refer to Fig. 8 and assemble the camshaft
7. Install the front balance weights (Section 1.7).
. Install new end plugs in the camshaft. Press the
8. Attach the gear nut retainer plates (if used) to the
plugs in to a depth of 1.940 " to 2.060 ".
gears with bolts and lock washers and tighten the bolts
Install the gears and thrust washers on their
respective shafts as outlined in Section 1.7.3.
9. Check the clearance between the thrust washer and
the gear on both shafts. The clearance should be .G,,"
3. Lubricate the bearings and shafts with engine oil
to .015 ", or a maximum of .019" with used parts.
and slide the shaft assemblies into the cylinder block
being careful not to damage the bearings or the cams
10. Check the backlash between the mating gears. The
and journals. Make sure that the appropriate timing
backlash should be .003 " to .005 " and should not
marks on the gears are aligned. Refer to Gear Train
exceed .007 " between used gears.
and Engine Timing in Section 1.7.1.
11. Install the flywheel housing and other parts or
4. Slide an oil slinger on the front end of both shafts.
assemblies that were removed from the engine as
outlined in their respective sections of this manual.
5. Install the upper engine front cover, if used, (Section
1972 General Motors Corp.
SEC. 1.7.2 Page 7