2.1.1 Fuel Injector
DETROIT DIESEL 53
5. Let the injector run for approximately 30 seconds to
purge the air that may be in the system.
6. After 30 seconds, press the fuel flow start button.
This will start the flow of fuel into the vial. The
comparator will automatically stop the flow of fuel after
7. After the fuel stops flowing into the vial, pull the rack
out to the no-fuel position.
9. Observe the reading on the vial and refer to Fig.
19. to determine if the injector fuel output falls within its
specified limits. If the quantity of fuel in the vial does
not fall within the specified limits, refer to Trouble
Shooting Chart 6 and Shop Notes in Section 2.0 for the
Fig. 25. - Removing Injector Nut
cause and remedy.
Then slide the adaptor forward and up against the fuel
CAUBRATOR J 22410
To check the fuel output, operate the injector in the
calibrator (Fig. 21) as follows:
2. Place the injector seat J 22410-226 into the
permanent seat (cradle handle in vertical position).
NOTE: Place the cam shift index
Clamp the injector into position by operating the air
wheel and fuel flow lever in their
respective positions. Turn on the
test fuel oil heater switch and
NOTE: Make sure the counter (Fig.
preheat the test oil to 95to 105F.
22.) on the calibrator is preset at
1,000 strokes. If for any reason this
1. Place the proper injector adaptor between the tie
setting has been altered, reset the
rods and engage it with the fuel block locating pin.
counter to 1,000 strokes by twisting
the cover release button to the left
and hold the reset lever in the full up
position while setting the numbered
wheels. Close the cover. Refer to
the calibrator instruction booklet for
3. Pull the injector racks out to the no-fuel position.
4. Turn on the main power control circuit switch. Then
start the calibrator by turning on the motor starter switch.
NOTE: The low oil pressure warning
buzzer will sound briefly until the
lubricating oil reaches the proper
Figure. 24. - Removing or Installing Plunger
Follower, Plunger and Spring
5. After the calibrator has started, set the injector rack
into the full-fuel position. Allow the injector to operate
for approximately 30 seconds to purge the air that may
be in the system.
6. After the air is purged, press the fuel flow start
button (red). This will start the-flow of fuel into the
1972 General Motors Corp