DETROIT DIESEL 53
Fuel Injector 2.1.1
ASSEMBLE RACK AND GEAR
Use an extremely clean bench to work on and to place
Refer to Fig. 36. and note the drill spot marks on the
the parts when assembling an injector. Also be sure all
control rack and gear. Then proceed as follows:
of the injector parts, both new and used, are clean.
1. Hold the injector body, bottom end up, and slide the
Study Figs. 34. through 37. for the proper relative
rack through the hole in the body. Look into the body
position of the injector parts, then proceed as follows:
bore and move the rack until you can see the drill
marks. Hold the rack in this position.
ASSEMBLE INJECTOR FILTERS
2. Place the gear in the injector body so that the
Always use new filters and gaskets when reassembling
marked tooth is engaged between the two marked teeth
on the rack (Fig. 36).
1. Insert a new filter, dimple end down, slotted end up,
3. Place the gear retainer on top of the gear.
in each of the fuel cavities in the top of the injector body
4. Align the locating pin in the bushing with the slot in
the injector body, then slide the end of the bushing into
NOTE: Install a new filter in the inlet
side (located over the injector rack)
in a fuel injector with an offset body.
ASSEMBLE SPRAY TIP, SPRING CAGE
No filter is required in the outlet side
AND CHECK VALVE ASSEMBLIES
of the offset body injector (Fig. 34.).
Refer to Fig. 36. and assemble the parts as follows:
2. Place a new gasket on each filter cap. Lubricate the
threads and install the filter caps. Tighten the filter caps
1. Support the injector body, bottom end up, in injector
to 65-75 Ib-ft torque with a 9/16 " deep socket (Fig. 23.).
holding fixture J 22396.
3. Purge the filters after installation by directing
compressed air or fuel through the filter caps.
4. Install clean shipping caps on the filter caps to
prevent dirt from entering the injector.
Fig. 41. - Installing Injector Follower Stop Pin
Fig. 42. - Checking Injector Spray Tip
1972 General Motor Cops.
SEC. 2.1.1 Page 19