DETROIT DIESEL 53
Fuel Pump 2.2
6. Lubricate the gears and shafts with clean engine oil.
7. Apply a thin coating of quality sealant on the face of
the pump cover outside of the gear pocket area.
Then, place the cover against the pump body with the
two dowel pins in the cover entering the holes in the
pump body. The cover can be installed in only one
position over the two shafts.
CAUTION The coating of sealant must be
extremely thin since the pump clearances
have been set up on the basis of metal-to-
metal contact. Too much sealant could
increase the clearances and affect the
efficiency of the pump.
Use care that sealant Is not squeezed into the gear
Fig. 8 Inserting Fuel Pump Drive Shaft and Gear
compartment. otherwise damage to the gears and
Assembly through Oil Seals
shafts may result.
9. After assembly, rotate the pump shaft by hand to
8. Secure the cover in place with eight bolts and lock
make certain that the parts rotate freely. When the
washers. tightening the bolts alternately and evenly.
shaft does not rotate freely, attempt to free it by tapping
a corner of the pump.
10. If the pump is not to be used immediately, place
plastic shipping plugs in the inlet and outlet openings to
prevent dirt or other foreign material from entering the
Install Fuel Pump
1. Affix a new gasket to the pump body and locate the
pump drive coupling over the square end of the fuel
pump drive shaft.
2. Install the fuel pump on the engine and secure it with
three bolt and washer assemblies.
3. Connect the inlet and outlet fuel lines to the fuel
Fig. 7 . Installing Outer Oil Seal ' 1970 General Motors
1970 General Motors Corp.
SEC. 2.2 Page 5