DETROIT DIESEL 53
Water Pump 5.1
Fig. 6. - Fresh Water Pump Details and Relative Location of Parts
2. Secure the water pump to the oil cooler housing with
the five bolts and lock washers.
4. Place the pulley on the bed of an arbor press. Place
a suitable rod between the ram of the press and the
3. Install the hose between the water pump and water
impeller end of the shaft, then press the shaft into the
by-pass tube and tighten the hose clamps.
pulley until the pulley is in its original position on the
4. Install and tighten the belts.
5. Install the cover and a new gasket on the pump
body. Tighten the cover bolts to 6-7 lb-ft torque.
NOTE: An idler pulley is used on some
engines to adjust the water pump drive
6. Run the pump dry at 1200 rpm for a minimum of 30
seconds, or as required, to assure satisfactory seating of
5. Close all of the drain cocks and refill the cooling
Install Water Pump
6. Start the engine and check for leaks.
1 Affix a new gasket to the flange of the water pump
FRESH WATER PUMP WITH CERAMIC INSERT IN IMPELLER
The water pump assemblies used includes an impeller
Inspect the ceramic insert for cracks, scratches and
and ceramic insert combination (Figs.
7 and 8).
bond to the impeller. If the insert is damaged, it may be
Disassembly and assembly of the current water pump is
replaced in the following manner:
the same as the former water pump except as follows:
1. Bake the used ceramic insert and impeller assembly
When removing the impeller protect the ceramic insert
at 500F. for one hour to remove the ceramic insert.
from damage at all times during pump overhaul. Always
The ceramic insert can be removed easily from the
lay the impeller on the bench with the ceramic insert up
counterbore while the adhesive is hot. Wire brush the
to prevent damage to the insert.
impeller bond area to remove the old adhesive, oxide,
2. Wipe the impeller bond area and the grooved side
of the new ceramic insert with a cloth soaked in a
1970 General Motors Corp.
5.1 Page 3