DETROIT DIESEL 53
CAUTION: Exercise care to prevent
damaging the thermostat seals.
5. Place new seals on the cross-over by-pass tube;
then. reinstall the tube.
6. Use new gaskets and attach the water outlet elbows
to the thermostat housings; secure them with bolts and
7. Place a new seal ring on the upper end of the
bypass tube and install the tube between the thermostat
housing and the water pump.
8. Install the hoses between the radiator and the water
outlet elbows and secure them with the hose clamps.
After the thermostats have been. installed, close all of
the drain cocks and fill the cooling system. Then start
the engine and check for leaks.
1. Install new seals in the thermostat housings.
Position the seals so the lips face away from the
thermostats. Press the seals in with seal installer J
22091 and handle J 7092-2.
2. Place a new gasket on each thermostat housing
3. Insert a thermostat in each base.
4. Install the thermostat housings and secure the
housings with bolts and lock washers.
1971 General Motors Corp.
SEC. 5.2.1 Page 3