DETROIT DIESEL 53
EXHAUST MANIFOLD (AIR COOLED)
Remove any loose scale and carbon that may have
has a circular outlet
accumulated on the internal walls of the exhaust
which is connected to the exhaust pipe with a Marmon-
manifold. Clean the manifold and check for cracks,
type clamp (Fig. 1).
especially in the holding lug areas.
Clean all traces of gasket material from the cylinder
Examine the exhaust manifold studs.
damaged studs. Apply sealant to the threads and drive
Remove Exhaust Manifold
new studs to 25-40 lb-ft torque (1.40" to 1.50" height).
1. Disconnect the exhaust pipe or muffler from the
Install Exhaust Manifold
1. Place a new gasket over the studs and against the
2. Loosen, but do not remove, one of the center
exhaust manifold nuts. Remove the other nuts and
2. Position the exhaust manifold over the studs and
hold it against the cylinder head.
3. Support the manifold and remove the center nut and
3. Install the washers and nuts on the studs. If beveled
(dished) washers are used, position them so that the
4. Remove the manifold and gasket from the cylinder
crown side faces the nut. Crabs are used in place of
washers at the end positions (Fig. 1).
1970 General Motors Corp.
SEC. 6.1 Page 1