DETROIT DIESEL 53
TIMING FUEL INJECTOR
To properly time the injectors, the injector follower must
be adjusted to a definite height in relation to the injector
All injectors can be timed during a full revolution of the
1. Clean the loose dirt from the exterior of the engine
and remove the valve rocker cover(s).
2. Place the speed control lever in the idle speed
position. If a stop lever is provided, secure it in the
3. Rotate the crankshaft, manually or with the starting
motor, until the exhaust valves are fully depressed on
Fig. .1 Timing Fuel Injector
the particular cylinder to be timed.
in the hole provided in the top of the injector body, with
the flat of the gage toward the injector follower as shown
CAUTION: If a wrench is used on the
in Fig. 1.
crankshaft bolt at the front of the
engine, do not turn the crankshaft in
5. Loosen the push rod lock nut.
a left-hand direction of rotation or
the bolt will be loosened.
6. Turn the push rod and adjust the injector rocker arm
until the extended part of the gage will just pass over the
4. Place the small end of the injector timing gage
top of the injector follower.
(refer to the chart below for the correct timing gage)
7. Hold the push rod and tighten the lock nut. Check
the adjustment and readjust, if necessary.
8. Time the remaining injectors as outlined ii Steps I
9. Install the rocker cover(s) and new rocker cover
1970 General Motors Corp.
SEC. 14.2 Page 1