15.2 Trouble Shooting Engine
DETROIT DIESEL 53
1. Tighten or replace the defective parts.
core. Then, use a good grade of cooling system cleaner
to remove the oil from the cooling system.
2. Replace defective gaskets or oil seals.
7. Replace the oil control rings on the piston.
3. Refer to the Excessive Crankcase Pressure chart.
8. Replace the piston pin retainer and defective parts.
4. Refer to the Abnormal Engine Operation chart.
9. Remove and replace the defective parts.
5. Remove the air inlet housing and inspect the blower
10. Replace all worn and defective parts.
end plates while the engine is operating. If oil is seen
on the end plate radiating away from the oil seal,
11. Decrease the installation angle.
overhaul the blower.
12. Fill the crankcase to the proper level only.
Inspect the engine coolant for lubricating oil
1970 General Motors Corp.