CONTROLS AND OPERATION
26. CARRIER REMOTE CONTROLS. These switches
for more than 30 seconds at one time. If the engine
are used to operate the carrier from the upper cab.
does not start in this period of time, release the ignition
Refer to the topic Remote Control Carrier Operation.
key, and wait two minutes before attempting to start the
3. Check all gauges, immediately after the engine starts,
to be sure they are reading properly. If the readings are
GENERAL. The following operating suggestions are
improper, stop the engine immediately and determine the
offered as a reminder rather than as an attempt to
cause of the improper gauge reading before continuing
instruct, since the Harnischfeger Corporation is well
aware of the fact that a machine of this size is not
entrusted to anyone except a fully qualified operator.
4. Allow the engine to run at 800 to 1000 rpm for 4 to 5
minutes or preferably until the water temperature
1. Always consult the rating plate in the upper cab for
reaches normal operating temperature before working
the maximum load which may be lifted with the various
variable factors which may be involved with lifting the
CRANE OPERATING CYCLE. The crane operating
cycle consists of six steps: setting the boom angle
2. Always perform all machine operations with the
(boom hoist operation), setting the boom length (boom
engine running at governed speed.
telescope operation) lifting the load (hoisting operation),
performance and safety of machine operations require
swinging the load, spotting the load, and lowering the
that the engine be run at governed speed.
3. When the load is being swung, it should be kept as
near the machine and as close to the ground as
4. Always pay out cable from the main and/or auxiliary
the machine when it is equipped with
winch when the boom is being extended or when the
boom is being lowered to prevent "two blocking" the hook
illustrates the operation of machines
equipped with Gearmatic winches.
5. Always set the outriggers before operating the
The operation of these machines is
different. Therefore, be sure you
understand the operation of your
operating the machine each day, perform the "A"
machine before you begin to operate
it. The operation of both types of
STARTING THE ENGINE. To start the engine from the
winches is described in the topic
upper cab, proceed as follows:
Upper Control Identification.
1. Perform the following functions before leaving the
STOPPING THE ENGINE. To stop the engine, proceed
A. Shift the main transmission to neutral.
B. Place the Throttle Selector Valve in the UPPER
1. Make certain that all controls are in the neutral
position, and the swing brake is locked in the applied
C. Engage the pump drive.
position. Lower the boom onto the boom rest or to a
D. Apply the Maxibrakes by pushing the Maxibrake
2. Turn the upper ignition key clockwise, past the detent,
2. If possible, allow the engine to run at half speed or
to start the engine.
Do not hold the starter on
less for several minutes before stopping the engine.
This will allow the engine to cool down.
3. Depress the Engine Stop Button to stop the engine.
After the engine has stopped, place the ignition key in
the OFF position.