'C' Maintenance Checks
At each "C" Maintenance Check, perform all "A & B"
2. Replace the oil pan drain plug and tighten the plug
Checks in addition to the following.
3. Remove the drain plug from the filter shell and allow it
PERFORM MONTHLY LUBRICATION
to drain. Replace the drain plug.
Refer to the lubrication charts, in Section III of this
manual, and lubricate all the monthly lubrication points
4. Loosen the center bolt and remove the filter shell and
indicated with the type of lubricant specified.
filter element. Before discarding the filter element,
inspect it as follows:
CHANGE ENGINE OIL & OIL FILTER
A. Inspect for metal particles.
The engine oil and filter change interval should be
B. Inspect the outside wrapper of the element for
started with a monthly interval. The change interval may
wrinkles and the pleats for waviness or bunching.
then be gradually increased, or decreased, following the
Presence of these conditions indicates that the oil
recommendations of an independent oil analysis
laboratory or the oil supplier (based on the oil sample
C. If the element is relatively clean, it may be
analysis) until the most practical oil change period for the
possible to lengthen the change interval. If the element
particular service has been established.
is dogged, the change interval should be shortened.
To change the engine oil and filter, proceed as follows
5. Remove the gasket from the filter head and discard it.
temperature. Shut down the engine, remove the drain
6. Clean the filter shell thoroughly with a suitable
plug from the bottom of the oil pan, and drain the oil into
a suitable container.
7. Check that the element end seal is in place in the
filter shell, and install a new element over the spring
8. Install a new gasket in the filter head. Position the
filter shell and element on the filter head and tighten the
9. Fill the engine to "F" mark on the dipstick with the
engine and check for leakage.
10. Shut down the engine. Allow 15 minutes for oil to
drain back into the oil pan, and recheck the oil level.
Add oil, as required, to bring the oil level to the "F" mark
on the dipstick.
Figure 4-8. Engine Oil Filter
CHANGE FUEL FILTERS
New fuel filter should be installed each month or when
they become plugged.