CONTROLS AND OPERATION
18. SWING BRAKE LOCK. Depress this button to lock the
24. FLOODLIGHT SWITCH. This switch, or switches, turn
swing swing in the applied position. Lift this button to
the optional floodlights on and off.
unlock the swing brake.
26. ENGINE WARNING LIGHT. This lights, when illumi-
nated, indicates that the engine is overheated or the engine
oil pressure is below normal.
This control operates independently of the swing
26. CARRIER REMOTE CONTROLS. Then switches are
brake pedal, and will override the swing brake pedal.
used to operate the carrier from the upper cab. Refer to the
topic Remote Control Carrier Operation.
19. HAND THROTTLE. Use this lever to set the engine
high idle speed, as required for the machine application.
For maximum efficiency and safety of operation, the high
idle speed must be set high enough, by means of this con-
trol, to handle the typical load. The Accelerator should be
GENERAL. The following operating suggestions are offered
used for momentary increases in engines speed.
as a reminder rather than as an attempt to instruct, since
the Harnischfeger Corporation is well aware of the fact that
a machine of this size is not entrusted to anyone exact a
20. HEATER CONTROL. This control regulates the heater
fully qualified operator.
temperature and heater fan speed. Turn the knob clockwise
to start the heater fan. Fan speed is controlled by turning
1. Always consult the rating plate in the upper cab for the
the knob clockwise or counterclockwise until the desired
maximum load which may be lifted with the various corn-
fan speed is obtained. Heater temperature is increased by
binations of boom lenght, boom and, and other variable
pulling the knob outward and is decrease by pushing the
function which may be involved with lifting the load.
2. Always perform all operations with the engine
21. DEFOGGER FAN. The defogger fan is controlled by
running at governed speed. Machine performance and safety
the switch on the fan housing. Place the switch in the can-
of machine operation require that the engine be run at
ter position to operate the fan at low speed. Place the
switch in the extreme right position to operation the fan at
3. When the load is being swung, it should be kept as near
the machine and as close to the ground as possible.
22. WINCH TURN INDICATORS. These lights indicates the
rate at which the winch drums are turning. The upper light
4. Always pay out cable from the main and/or auxiliary
indicate, main winch rotation, while the lower light indi-
winch when is being extended or when the boom
cates auxiliary winch rotation.
is being lowered to prevent to "two blocking the hook block.
The lights will flicker whenever the winch drums are
5. Always set the outriggers before operating the machine.
turning. The light will flicker at different rater depending
upon how fast the winch drum is turning.
STARTING THE ENGINE. To start the engine from the
upper cab, proceed as follows:
1. Perform the following functions before leaving the car-
The lights will have slight glow when the winches
are not turning, and will increase in intensity when
the winches are turning. This sight glow provides a
mans of checking the lamps in the turn indications.
A. shift the main transmission to natural.
The lamps should be replaced if it does not glow, as it
is burned out.
B. Place the Throttle Selector Valve in the UPPER
23. BOOM ANGLE INDICATOR. This gauge indicates
the number of degrees the boom is raised above the hori-
C. Engage pump drive.