flywheel side or pressure plate side facing the respective
part. Do not allow the hubs to be within less than 5/32 inch
(3.967 mm) of the pilot bearing, or each other.
6. Bolt the clutch assembly to the engine flywheel. Tighten
each capscrew gradually until the ring is drawn up tight.
Make certain that the clutch ring IS seated properly on the
flywheel pilot rim.
If the release levers are not in plane, it is possible that
the ring is not seated properly on the flywheel.
7. Remove the three capscrews that were installed through
the clutch ring, into the pressure plate.
Figure 8-6. Clutch Assembly
8. Check the heights of the release levers, as measured from
the clutch ring to the ends of the release levers (see Figure
line up the matchmarks on the clutch ring and pressure
8-7). This dimension must be 1-1/16 inch (26.987 mm). If
necessary, adjust the release levers by turning each adjusting
4. Carefully press the clutch ring into position over the
nut and locknut as a unit until each lever is at the proper
pressure plate. Make certain that the driving lugs engage the
height, and then hold the adjusting nut and tighten the
slots in the clutch ring, and do not distort the ring.
5. Pull the adjusting nuts up through the holes in the
clutch ring, and install the locknuts.
6. Install three 3/8" - 16 x 2-1/4" capscrews through the
clutch ring into the tapped holes in the pressure plate to
hold it under compression while reassembling the clutch to
the engine flywheel. Remove the clutch assembly from the
INSTALLATION. To install the clutch assembly on the
engine flywheel. proceed as follows:
1. Check the depth of the recess in the engine flywheel.
The depth of the recess must be within 0.005 inch (.127
mm) of 1.062 inches (26.974 mm).
2. The friction face of the flywheel must be free from heat
cracks, score marks, or taper. The presence of any of these
conditions will adversely affect clutch life.
3. Install the release bearing and carrier, and the pilot
bearing. The pilot bearing should be a hand press fit in the
flywheel recess and on the transmission input shaft. The
release yoke should contact the release bearing carrier
evenly to prevent a bind on the front bearing cap extension.
4. Place the intermediate plate in the driving slots of the
Figure 8-7. Checking Release Lever Height
engine flywheel to check the clearance between the lugs on
the plate and the slots. A minimum of 0.006 inch (0.15
ADJUSTMENT. The amount of clutch pedal free travel
mm) clearance is recommended for free movement of the
should be checked to determine the need for clutch adjust-
intermediate plate. Remove the intermediate plate.
ment. Free travel is the distance the pedal can be depressed
before resistance is felt. and is best checked, by hand. The
5. Install the driven discs on the engine flywheel, with the
proper amount of clutch pedal free travel is 3/4 to 1 inch
intermediate plate between the two driven discs. The two
driven discs must be positioned with the side marked either