Figure 8-13. Hydraulic Pump Drive Assembly (53U13)
6. Capscrews which secure the pump drive shaft flange to
The following points should be kept in mind upon reas-
the drive input flange should be torqued to 22-24 foot
pounds (3.0426-3.3192 m-kg).
1. Permatex or equal, should be used on all capscrews.
INSTALLATION. To install the pump drive assembly,
2. All oil seal lips should point in the right direction.
p r o c e e d as follows:
3. The needle bearings for the idle shaft are not enclosed in
1. Using a suitable lifting device, lower pump drive assem
a race. Be careful not to lose these needle bearings when
My in place and bolt it to carrier frame.
disassembling the unit. Use heavy grease to hold them in
place during reassembly. Two sets of 21 needle bearings are
4. End play on the power take-off pump drive shaft should
If this installation includes the power steering pump,
be as near zero as possible without pm-loading the bearings.
place the drive belts over the pully of the hydraulic
End play can be adjusted by means of steel shims located
pump drive assembly et this point.
between the housing and the end cover.
5. Backlash inspection plug is built into each power take-
off unit, just inboard of the shifter shafts. Ocassionally
bolts to 22-24 foot-pounds (3.0426-3.3192 m-kg).
backlash between the power takeoff unit idler gear and the
pump shaft drive gear should be checked through this open
3. Connect shifter shaft with a pin and cotter pin.
ing. Backlash should be between 0.006 and 0.012 inch
4. If equipped with a Cummins engine, proceed es follows
(.1524-.3048 mm). If backlash does not fall within these
to install the power steering pump.
limits, consideration should be given to replacing the gears.