AIR SYSTEM COMPONENTS
OVERHAUL. Overhaul of this valve is limited to the re-
placement of two O-rings and a gasket. To replace these
1. Using a suitable wrench, unscrew the cap from the bot-
tom of the valve body.
2. Carefully remove the shuttle by pushing it out the bot-
tom of the valve body with the shaft.
3. Remove the gasket from the cap and the two O-rings
from the shuttle.
4. Wash all remaining parts in cleaning solvent.
5. Install the two O-rings in their respective grooves.
6. Carefully install the shuttle in the valve body. Be sure
the O-rings do not extrude as the shuttle is installed. Install
the gasket on the cap, and install the cap in the bottom of
the valve body.
INSTALLATION. To install a new or overhauled valve, pro-
Figure 9C-9. Emergency Release Valve (362362)
ceed as follows :
When the knob is depressed, the service air inlet is blocked
end the emergency air inlet is connected to the Maxibrake
If a new valve is being installed, the knob and locknut
control value outlet. Air from the emergency air tank can
must be removed from the shaft.
then flow around the plunger to the outlet port.
1. Position the valve on the underside of the dash panel.
Then install the nameplate on the topside of the dash panel,
LEAKAGE TEST. The only factor that could affect the
and secure the valve with the mounting bolts,
operation of the emergency release valve would be internal
leakage between the service end emergency air inlets. If this
2. Install the locknut and knob on the end of the shaft.
leakage is excessive, the air pressure in the emergency air
Secure the knob by tightening the locknut.
tank could be lost, which would prevent releasing the Maxi-
brakes. To check for internal leakage, proceed as follows:
3. Connect the two air lines to the inlet and outlet ports of
1. Depress the emergency release valve knob.
4. Test the operation of the newly installed valve by per-
2. Open the drain cock on the wet and dry air tanks to
forming the Operating and Leakage Test.
drain the air pressure from the service air system. Do not
drain the emergency air tank.
EMERGENCY RELEASE VALVE (36Z362)
3. Loosen the service air connection at the valve. Coat the
DESCRIPTION. The emergency release valve provides a
connection with a soap solution to determine if any leakage
means of transferring protected air from the emergency air
from the emergency air inlet to the service air inlet exists. If
tank to the Maxibrake control valve when service air pres-
leakage is excessive, the valve should be replaced or over.
sure is lost.
When the knob is pulled out, the emergency air inlet is
REMOVAL. To remove the emergency release valve, pro-
blocked, and the service air inlet is connected to the Maxi-
ceed es follows:
brake control valve outlet. In this can, the air at the service
air inlet flows through the drilled passages in the plunger to
1. Remove the knob from the end of the shaft. If the knob
is equipped with a locknut, it will be necessary to loosen