g. Break lockwire and remove capscrews dashers
(7) Remove thrust washer (55) and second and
(38) and bearing cap (39).
third synchronizer (54).
(8) Remove retaining ring (53), locating washer
Note. Use puller screws to remove bearing and bearing
(52), and second gear (51).
cap. Mainshaft 148) can be removed from housing
(9) To remove second gear bushing (4e, from
without removing main drive gear 151, as described in
shaft, use a brass or bronze punch and tap, lightly with
steps i and j below
mallet. Note. Do not remove bushing (49) unless it is to
h. Remove clutch throw out yoke (7)removing
be replaced. Retaining pin (50) is located between
screws (6) and pulling shafts (8 and out of clutch housing
bushing (49) and mainshaft (48). Do not lose pin.
(9). Remove main drive bearing cap (2) attaching
q. Remove and disassemble the clutch housing and
hardware. Strike the end of main drive gear (5) with a
bushing assembly as follows:
brass bar mallet to remove bearing cap (1), gasket
(2)(3), and bearing (4) as a unit, mounted on drive gear
Note. It is recommended that the clutch housing be
removed only if replacement of same is required.
i. Push Mainshaft assembly (48) toward rear
(2) Disassemble main drive gear as described in
j. Tilt the forward end of Mainshaft (48) ups at the
front of housing and remove the entire assembly.
Disassemble the countershaft assembly as
k . Remove reverse idler lockscrew (30) and plate
(29). Using a suitable puller, remove shaft (28). The
(1) Remove locating spacer (68) and retaining ring
reverse idler gear (26), thrust washers (22 and 27),
bearings (23 and 25),spacer (24) come out when idler
(2) Remove plug (65) and retaining ring (66). Press
shaft (28 is removed.
gear (70) from shaft (75). Do not remove plug 165) and
I. Remove nut (83). Remove counter shaft bearing
retainer (66) unless they are to be replaced.
(3) Remove drive gear key (74), drive gear spacer
m. Push countershaft (75) toward rear transmission
(71), fourth gear (72), and third gear (73).
housing so that bearing (81) can be removed from the
(4) Remove remaining gear keys (74).
s. Disassemble the main drive gear and bearing
n. Remove the countershaft assembly by tilting the
assembly as follows:
forward end upward.
(1) Place gear (5) in a copper jawed vise.
o. Remove bearing (67) using a bearing puller
(2) Destake nut (3) using a small chisel in the slot.
p. Disassemble the Mainshaft assembly as follows:
Using a suitable wrench, remove the nut.
(1) Remove inboard half of inner race of bearing
(3) Using suitable puller or arbor press, remove
(44). Use puller on first and reverse gear (47).
bearing (4) from gear,
(2) Place balance of assembly in vise 1 copper or
Disassemble mainshaft rear bearing cap
lead jaws so as not to damage splines Place pilot end of
assembly as follows:
mainshaft (48) upward.
(1) Remove retaining ring (42) from bearing cap (39)
(3) Using a suitable puller, remove be. (64).
(2) Place bearing cap (39) in arbor press with cap
(4) Remove fourth and fifth synchro
resting on flange.
(5) Remove retaining ring (62), washer and gear
(3) Press on inner race of bearing (37) to remove it
from bearing cap (39). 14) Using a punch, drive out oil
(6) Remove fourth gear bushing (58), pin (59),
seal (35) and discard.
locating washer (57), and third gear
Note. If bushing (58) slips off without a puller it
should be replaced. Pin (59) is located between bushing