(1) Remove air solenoid valve (12) and hoses (8
(23) Place intermediate shaft (64), in an arbor press
and remove gear (66), thrust washer (67), and bearing
(2) Remove cover (3) and gasket (4).
(68). Remove locating ring (65).
(3) Remove lockwire and lock screw (18).
(24) Remove capscrews (5), washers (6), cover (7),
(4) Remove capscrews (26) and lock washer (25
and O -ring (9).
(5)To remove shift rod adapter (24), tap lightly
(25) Remove retaining ring (10), then press on end
on adapter from inside of housing.
of shaft (21) to remove piston (11).
(26) Remove sealing ring (13) and O -rings (16, 17,
(6) Remove air shift cylinder housing mounting
bolts (5) and washers (6).
(7) Remove air shift cylinder (14).
14-9. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair
(8) Remove high low shift fork (19) an spacer
a. Clean all parts with an approved cleaning solvent
and dry thoroughly.
(9) Remove capscrews (59) and lockwasher
Inspect all transmission parts for wear or
damage. Replace all excessively worn or damaged
(58), then remove baffle (57
(10) Remove nut (56). This nut is staked, and
c. Inspect gear teeth for wear, cracks, or pitting on
must be unstaked.
tooth faces. Replace worn or defective gears.
d. Check axial gear clearance. If excessive axial
between items 30 and 31) with pipe wrench Remove
movement is evident, check gear retaining rings,
companion flange nut (29), washer (3( and flange.
washers, spacers, and gear hub wear. Replace all worn
(12) Remove capscrews (32) and lockwasher
e. Inspect all splines for excessive wear. Replace
(13) Remove rear bearing cover (34) and gasket
any part which has worn or damaged splines.
f. Inspect grey iron parts for cracks and fractures.
(14) Using brass or bronze bar, drive the output
Replace or repair damaged parts. Castings may be
shaft (44) through the rear bore. The low gear bushing
welded or brazed if cracks do not extend into bearing
(46), lock pin (47), thrust wash (45) and bearing (38) will
bores or bolting surfaces.
remain on the shaft.
g. Replace all 0, -rings and gaskets.
(15) The high gear thrust washer (54), hit gear
(53), high gear bushing (51), lock pin (52 high low
synchronizer (50), hub (49) and low gear (48), may be
removed from the housing as a unit Use caution not to
mainshaft assembly as follows:
lose lock pin (52).
(1) Clamp mainshaft (48) into a vise using
(16) To finish disassembling output she 144),
copper or lead jaw shields. Be sure pilot end of shaft is
use a suitable puller to remove bearing (3) or place the
shaft in an arbor press with t threaded end up, and
(2) Using a suitable driving tool, install second
remove the bearing. The remove thrust washer (45),
gear bushing (49), on mainshaft. Install retaining pin
bushing (46), and lo1 pin (47). To remove bushing (46),
(50) toward top of shaft.
block under thrust washer (45) and press off the
(3) Place second gear (51) on shaft, with toothed
opposite end bearing (38). Use caution not to lose lock
hub of gear up.
(4) Place retaining washer (52) on shaft. If gear
(17) To remove output shaft front bearing (55),
(51) has been replaced, select proper retainer washer
press out through bore of housing.
(one of three) to get proper end play, which is from 0.
(18) To remove intermediate shaft (6r remove
006 to 0. 013 inch.
rear bearing retainer ring (37).
(5) Place new retaining ring (53) on shaft.
(19) Drive on the front of intermediate shaft (64)
(6) When placing synchronizer assembly (54) on
with brass or bronze bar until back bearing comes
shaft, note that one side of the hub is undercut for
completely out of bore in housing. Using suitable puller,
second gear retaining washer (52). Place this side
remove bearing (39).
(20) After bearing is removed, shaft can tilted
(7) Place third gear thrust washer (55) on shaft.
and removed through control cover opening.
(8) Put third gear (56) on shaft with toothed hub of
(21) Press oil seal (31) from rear bearing c (34).
This should be done only if seal is defective and needs
(9) Place locating washer (57) on shaft.
(10) Using a suitable driving tool, install fourth
gear bushing (58) on shaft. Install bushing (58) with