(11) Place fourth gear (60) on shaft with toothed
hub of gear up.
rear bearing cap assembly as follows:
(12) Place fourth gear retaining washer (61) on
(1) Press bearing cup (41) into bearing cap (39).
shaft. If gear (6,0) has been replaced, select proper
The bearing cup should be resting on rear of cap (39).
retaining washer (one of three) to get prop end play,
(2) Install new retaining ring (42).
which is from 0. 006 to 0. 013 inch.
(13) Place fourth gear retaining ring (62) shaft.
control assembly as follows:
(14) Place fourth and fifth synchronizer assembly
(1) Install first reverse rocker arm pivot screw
(63) on shaft. One side of shift hub undercut for fourth
(16). Install screw through from inside cover. Install a
gear locating washer. Place this side down.
flat washer (not shown), lockwasher (9), and nut (8).
(15) Press bearing (64) on shaft.
(2) Place shift bar housing (7) on the bench in an
(16) Install first and reverse sliding gear (4 on
upside down position, with welch plug holes facing
shaft with fork slot away from threaded end.
(17) Press tapered bearing (44) on mainshaft.
(3) Place first reverse rocker arm (14) over pivot
screw with long end to the right.
assembly as follows:
(4) Install shift fork bar (10) and shift fork (19) as
(1) Install rear woodruff key (74) into t rear slot in
(a) Using suitable tool, compress spring
(2) Press countershaft third gear (73) on shaft.
(17) with ball (18) in position in reverse fork (19) poppet
(3) Install center woodruff key, and pre
countershaft fourth gear (72) onto shaft. T longer hub on
(b) Place reverse fork in position, with
gear must be facing away from threaded end of shaft.
poppet hole pointed toward left side of housing.
(4) Place countershaft drive gear spacer (7 on
(c) Push shift fork bar (10) through opening
in far end of cover housing and through fork.
(5) Install the remaining woodruff key, al press
(d) Tap on end of shift fork bar until set-
countershaft drive gear (70) onto shaft. T longer hub on
screw hole in cover and hole in shaft are lined up.
gear should be facing tower threaded end.
(e)Place Setscrew (15) in place and tighten
(6) Install countershaft drive gear retainer ring
(69) of shaft on end of shaft.
(5) Install second-third shift rail (40), spacer (42),
lug (44), fork (1), and spacer (2) as follows:
gear and bearing assembly as follows:
(a)Slide second-third shift rail (40) through
(1) Assemble bearing (4) on main drive gear (5)
opening on right.
with retaining ring toward the pilot end of t gear.
(b) Place spacer (42) on rail.
(2) Assemble nut (3) and tighten secure
(c)Place second-third shift lug (44) on rail,
(3) Stake nut (3) in place.
with Setscrew opening up and shift slot toward center of
clutch housing and bushing assembly, if removed and
(d) Place second-third shift fork (1) and
disassembled, as follows:
spacer (2) on rail, with Setscrew opening toward
(1) Install studs (16) into clutch housing (9)
(2) Assemble clutch housing (9) and gasket (15)
(e)Place poppet spring (46) and ball (45) in
to transmission housing (76) and secure place with
poppet hole in cover.
(f) Using a suitable tool, compress spring
(3) Install main drive gear (5) and bearing (
(46) with ball (45) in position, and slide rail (40) through
assembly into housing (76).
the rail support.
(4) Install gasket (2) and bearing cap (] Secure
(g)Place Setscrew (41) is shift lug (44) and
Setscrew (37) in shift fork (1). Tighten both securely.
(5) Install shafts (8 and 19) through side
(h) Shift into neutral position.
openings in clutch housing (9) and into throw o yoke (7).
(6) Install first-reverse shift lug (25) and first-
reserve rocker lug (20) as follows:
(a) Slide first-reverse shift rail (29) through
opening on left.
(b)Place first-reserve shift lug (25) on rail