output shaft until the shaft splines language the
on housing (61) upper bore with gasket (9), and
(7) Install nuts (81) and lockwashers (82).
(8) Install shaft (86) in the declutching
b. Press bearing cup (60) into bearing cap (71).
housing. Align the setscrew hole in the shaft with
Install the bearing cap assembly with gasket (68)
the setscrew hole in the shift fork, and install
on housing (61), and secure it with capscrews (70)
setscrew (103). Install plug (97).
and lockwashers (69).
(9) Install detent ball (93), spring (94),
c. Assemble the input shaft assembly (27 33)
washer (96), and capscrew (95).
(10) Install seal (88) on shaft (86), and sepal
(1) Press one bearing (29) onto shaft (27).
(79) in bearing cage (84).
Install spacer (30) and gear (31 ) on shaft (27), and
j. Install bearing cup (122) in the lower bore of
install the remaining bearing (29) on the shaft.
housing (61). Be sure the bearing cup is installed
(2) Install gear (28) on shaft (27).
facing the rear of the transfer case.
(3) Install spacer (32) on the end of the shaft
k. Install gasket (100) over the lower bearing
upon which bearing (33) is installed.
bore, and install the declutching assembly on
(4) Press bearings (26 and 33) on shaft (27).
housing (61). Secure the assembly with lock-
d. Lay housing (61) in a horizontal position with
washers (99) and nuts (98).
the large opening up. Block the housing in position
l. Install the output shaft assembly (117 - 121
so that it will not move.
in housing (61). Be sure the pilot bore in shaft
e. Install the input shaft assembly (26 - 33) in
(119) engages the pilot on shaft (101).
upper bearing cup (25).
m. Press bearing cups (34, 52, and 116) into
f Reassemble the intermediate shaft as follows:
their respective bearing cages (36, 42, and 114).
(1) Press bearing (59) onto shaft (56), and
Install the original shims (35, 43, and 115) on their
install snap ring (65).
respective bearing bores.
(2) Install key (57) in shaft (56). Align the
n. Install bearing cages (36 and 114) on their
keyway in speedometer drive gear (66) with the key
in the shaft, and press the gear onto the shaft.
(38 and 107) and nuts (37 and 108). Install
(3) Install gears (54 and 58) and spacer (55)
bearing cage (42) on the center bearing bore, and
g. Install the intermediate shaft assembly
o. Install a new gasket (51) on housing (61).
(53 - 59) in the center bearing bore in housing
Carefully install. the cover assembly on the housing.
(61 ). Be sure the gears on the input shaft mesh with
Align the cover and housing dowel holes, and install
the gears on the intermediate shaft.
dowels (62). Install capscrews (49), bolts (24),
h. Reassemble the output shaft as follows:
lockwashers (48), and nuts (46) on the cover.
(1) Install gear (118) on shaft (119).
p. Install seal (113) in bearing cage il14).
(2) Press bearings (117 and 121)) on shaft.
q. Install shift fork (18) through the opening at
the top of housing (61). Be sure that the shift fork
(3) Install bushing (120) in the pilot bore of
engages gear (28). Install shaft (10) through the
shaft (119) if it was removed for replacement.
opening at the front of the housing, and screw it
(4) Install driving clutch (105) on the front
into the shift fork until the outer detent on the shaft
end of shaft (119) and tighten setscrew (123). After
is under the detent ball opening in housing (61).
the setscrew is tightened, stake it in position.
Check the adjustment by engaging gear (28) with
(5) Do not install the output shaft assembly
gear (31). Then push shaft (10) in as far as it will
(117 - 121) in the housing at this time.
go, and look through the detent ball opening. The
i. Reassemble the declutching housing as
detent on the shaft should be approximately 1 / 16
inch past the opening. After the shift fork is
(1) Press bearing (89) onto the front of shaft
properly adjusted, tighten nut (23).
r. Install seal (11) on shaft (10).
(2) Press bearing cups (83 and 87) into
s. Install detent ball (21), plunger (22), spring
bearing cage (84).
(20), gaskets (16), plate (17), cover (15) in the
(3) Install the bearing cage assembly over the
shaft assembly, and install spacer (85) and bearing
lockwashers (12) and capscrews (13). Install
breather (14) in the cover.
(4) Install shift fork (104) on sliding clutch
t. Install flange (3) on the input shaft, and
(102), and install the assembly in housing (92).
secure it with nut (2) and cotter pin (1). Install
(5) Install gasket (90) on studs (91).
yokes (77 and 109) and secure them with nuts (76
(6) Center the sliding clutch in the housing
and 111) and cotter pins (75 and 110).
and install the output shaft assembly. Rotate the