counterclockwise until a firm stop is reached.
proximately 20 degrees and bend the tangs of
Install plug (62) in side cover.
washer 112) into a matching slot in the nut. Check
(17) Install bearing (5) in cover (8) by
the valve assembly for free rotation on the shaft.
pressing bearing into bore. Press bearing into bore
The valve assembly should have no perceptible end
until face of bearing is 18 inch from face of valve '~
cover. Check bearing for freedom of rotation.
(6) Coat seals (118 and 20) with grease (GAA)
(18) Install seal (4) with seal lip towards
and install seals in recesses of valve adapter (29).
bearing. Install washer (3) after coating washer
(7) Clamp worm shaft splined end in the vise
with grease (GAA). Install retaining ring (2) in
Install adapter over worm shaft and engage pilot
groove of upper cover. Install dust seal (1).
flange on valve in adapter. Install one screw (6)
(19) Coat O-ring (10) with grease (GAA) and
through valve and into adapter. Tighten screw
install O -ring (10) on adjusting screw (9). Install
finger tight only.
adjusting screw in cover until 13 / 16 inch is ex-
(8) Position ball nut (34) on worm shaft and
posed beyond boss.
rotate nut to engage worm groove on shaft. Install
(20) Lubricate seals (46 and 29) with grease
backup washer (35), new worm seal (36), new cup
(GAA) and install in grooves in adapter (28).
(37), washer (38), and washer (39) on shaft
Install rack piston (45) into housing (48) and
Compress washer and seal assembly on shaft and
position teeth so they are visible through side cover
secure with retaining ring (40). Ring must be
opening. Compress piston ring to install piston in
bore of housing.
area of retainer washer (39).
(21) Install adapter (28) on housing. Align oil
(9) Carefully rotate the ball nut through its full
transfer holes in adapter with holes in housing.
travel, checking for bind to assure that all balls are
(22) Remove screw (6) from valve and
in the correct recirculating path.
adapter. Install screws (26) and washers (27) to
(10) Clamp rack piston (45) in a soft-jawed
secure adapter. Tighten screws to a torque of 70
vise in a horizontal position with the teeth facing
up. Expand piston ring (41) and install in groove
(23) Coat worm shaft with hydraulic oil and
on large end of piston.
install cover (8) on valve with adjusting screw (9)
(11) Install valve (44) and install seat (43) in
passing through valve and engaging adapter (28).
threaded hole in rack piston. Tighten seat to a
(24) Install screws (6) and tighten to a torque
torque of 20 foot-pounds.
of 25 - 30 foot-pounds.
(12) Coat seal cup (37) with grease (GAA).
(25) Install nut (7) and hold screw until nut is
Slide worm shaft into rack piston bore. As ball nut
approaches large bore, align hole in ball nut with
(26) Coat seal (47) with grease and install in
hole in bore. Slide ball nut into bore until ap-
side cover (63). Check through side cover opening
proximately one inch of ball nut is engaged.
and install sector shaft (74) in housing. Align
Remove tape from ball nut and slide ball nut into
marked center tooth space on rack piston with
bore. Install new set screw (421 into rack piston to
center tooth of sector shaft and install side cover
secure ball nut. Tighten set screw to a torque of 35
and sector shaft. Secure side cover with screws (60)
foot-pounds and stake set screw securely.
and washers (59). Tighten screws to a torque of 45-
(13) Clamp sector shaft (74) into a vise with
soft jaws by clamping the serrated end. Lubricate
(27) Adjust screw (73) in side cover to provide
expanded end of adjusting screw (73) and install
20 to 25 inch pounds of torque at the input shaft as
screw into recess in end of sector shaft. Install
the input shaft is moved 90 degrees each side of
retainer (72) on screw and tighten to permit free
center. Back out adjusting screw one turn and note
rotation of adjusting screw without perceptible end
the torque required to move input shaft 90 degrees
play. Shake retainer into position and check screw
each side of center position. Move adjusting screw
for free movement.
in to provide a rise in torque of 2-4 inch pounds at a
(14) Press bearing (64) into bore of side cover
point 45 degrees each side of center. Install nut
(63). Press bearing to bottom of bore. Check rollers
(61) and tighten to a torque of 20 to 25 foot-
for freedom of movement. Work grease (GAA) into
bearing and wipe off excess.
(28) Install retaining ring (50) in bearing (49)
(15) Install washers (66 and 65) and seal (70)
groove. Install seal (53) on retaining ring (50).
in side cover. Secure with retaining ring (71).
Install backup washer (52) and seal assembly (51)
(16) Coat the end of sector shaft with grease
in seal adapter (54).
(GAA) and slide shaft into cover (63) until ad-
Note. Be sure seal assembly is installed with the word
justing screw (73) contacts inner cavity of side
"oil side" visible.
cover. Use a screwdriver and rotate adjusting screw