(b) If necessary, disassemble air shift
(11) Remove bearing (10) and spacer (8) from
gear (11). Do not remove bearing sleeve (9) unless
assembly (33-51i) as necessary for replacement of
replacement is necessary.
c. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.
(c)Remove cotter pin (1), nut (2), yoke (4)
(1) Clean all parts with an approved cleaning
and slinger (5). Remove slinger (5) from yoke only
solvent and dry thoroughly.
if replacement is necessary.
(d)Remove cotter pin (1), nut (2), washer
(2) Inspect all bearings, cups, and cones for
pitting, scoring, nicks, or other damage. Replace
(31, yoke (4), and slinger (5) from output end.
(e)Remove capscrews (66) and lockwasher
(3) Inspect all gears and pinions for pitting,
(65), and remove cover (64).
broken teeth, or other damage. If it is necessary to
(f) Press case assembly (53) from cover
replace the pinion through-shaft, or gear (11, fig.
(64). Take care not to damage cover during this
17-3), the entire gear set must be replaced. Also
replace differential pinions (58) and side gears (56)
(g) Pull bearing cups (67), bearings (68).
in sets if any one of them is defective.
and bearing spacer (69) from case assembly (53).
(4) Inspect sleeve (9) I.D. and radial bearing
Press oil seal (8) from cover (64).
(10) O.D Replace sleeve and / or bearing if parts
(h)Break lock wire, and remove bolts (62)
are damaged or if there is more than 0.006 inch
and nuts (61). Separate case assembly (53)
clearance between them. The radial bearing must
Remove thrust washers (54 and 60), side gears (55
be free to float in the sleeve.
and 59), thrust washers (56) and pinions (57) from
(5) Remove nicks, mars, and burrs from
machined surfaces. Use a fine mill file or india
(i)Break lock wire and remove capscrews
stone for this function.
(70), then remove housing (21), and gear (18). Tie
(6) Replace all gaskets and oil seals removed.
shim pack (32) together to aid in reassembly.
(7) Inspect all parts for excessive wear or other
(j)Clamp gear (18) in a copper-jawed vise
damage, and replace defective parts.
and remove nut (31), lockwasher (30), lock nut
(29), and nut (28).
(1 ) Assemble radial bearing (10, fig, 17-3) and
(k)Remove housing (21) from bearing (19)
sleeve (9), if removed, on gear (11) hub with large
and gear (18).
radius of bearing inner race toward back of gear.
(I)Remove bearing (27) and press bearing
(2) Install spacer (8) on gear (11) hub against
cups (20 and 26) from housing (21).
bearing with chamfer of spacer away from bearing.
(m) Remove bearing spacer (25) and
(3) Coat inside of gear (11) with grease
bearing (19) from gear (18). Use a suitable puller
specified in the current LO. Install gear, bearing,
tool to remove bearings.
and spacer assembly in drive unit sleeve and block
(n)Remove outer retaining ring (16), then
press or pull bearing (17) from gear (18). Remove
(4) Position housing (76) in press, through-
inner retaining ring (16).
shaft chamber down, with gear (11) supported in
cover (9), and gasket (10). Press seal (8) from
(5) Align key (73) in shaft (72) with keyway in
cover. Remove through-shaft (12) by lightly
gear (I 1) hub. Press shaft into gear, bearing, and
tapping on input end of shaft with a rubber
(6) Install two guide pins in housing (76).
(p)Remove cover (14) and gasket (15); tap
Position original shim pack (74) on housing. Be
spacer (13) from cover.
sure oil holes in shims are properly aligned with oil
(q)Remove ball bearing ( 11) from through-
holes in housing.
shaft (12) using a suitable puller tool.
(7) Start bearing cage (71) on guide pins. Be
sure oil holes are properly aligned. Press inner
washers (17), cover (18), and gasket (19).
bearing cup (69) into bearing cage (71) until it is
(9) Remove lock wire (63), capscrews (64),
seated against the shoulder. Press bearings (70)
cover (65), and shims (66). Tie shim pack (66)
and remaining bearing cup into bearing cage one at
together to facilitate reassembly.
(10) Break lock wires and remove ,capscrew
(8) Install retaining washer (68) and cap-
167) and retaining washer (68). Then press on the
screws (67). Tighten capscrews to 45 - 60 foot-
end of shaft (72) opposite bearing cage (71).
pounds. Install lock wire.
Support bearing cage (71) and press bearings (70)
(9) Install original shim pack (66), cover (65),
and bearing cups (69) from the bearing cage.
and capscrews (64). Torque capscrews to 116 -
Remove shims (74) and tie them together to
1 29 foot-pounds.