(1) Apply a thin coat of lightly oiled red Iead
differential assembly by moving the assembly back
with a small brush to both drive and coast sides of a
and forth between the spacers.
dozen teeth of the gear. When the pinion is rotated
(9) Remove and measure the thickness of the
the red lead is squeezed from the gear teeth by
spacers. Add the total thickness of the two spacers,
pressure of the pinion teeth, leaving areas the exact
the end play, plus another 0.017 to 0.022 inches to
size, shape, and location of the contact. Sharper,
obtain the total thickness of spacers required to
better defined areas of contact can be obtained by
obtain correct bearing preload. Total thickness may
applying rolling resistance to the gear, providing
be divided between the added thicker spacers. The
the gear is not forced out of location during the
thicker spacers will replace the thin spacers used to
determine bearing preload.
(2) Use the smallest amount of the lead and oil
(10) Install one spacer (23) as determined in
mixture that will render good impressions. The
step (9) above into carrier leg groove. Move dif-
drier the mixture the better the impressions. Clean
ferential assembly over so that face of bearing cup
the material from the gear and pinion teeth with
(24) is held tightly against spacer (23). Install
the operation is completed. Always judge tooth
spacers so that split portion locates in center of
contact by noting pattern on the drive side of the
bearing cap (20).
gear teeth. The coast side pattern should be correct
(11) Install opposite spacer (23). Install
when the drive side pattern is correct.
(3) Set backlash to amount specified on gear
(22). Torque capscrews to 160-180 foot-pounds.
O.D. Set backlash to 0.005-0.015 inches if
(12) Install gasket (21), top cover (13), lock-
amount is not specified.
washers (14), and capscrews (15). Torque cap-
(4) With adjustments properly made (pinions
screws to 26-29 foot-pounds.
at correct depth and backlash set at 0.005 - 0.015
(13) Install gasket (52) over axle housing
inches), the area of contact is centered between the
studs (53); then install drive unit to axle housing
top and bottom of the tooth.
f. Reassembly and Installation of Axle Dif-
drive unit is being lowered into axle housing. There
should be 3/16 inch clearance between top of
studs (53) and through-shaft chamber. Torque nuts
(16) to 180-220 foot-pounds.
both case half (28) shoulders. Coat inside of case
and drum assembly.
assembly (28) and all differential parts with rear
g. Installation. Install front rear axle assembly
axle lubricant specified in the current LO.
(para 11-12). Lubricate in accordance with the
(2) Assemble one case half and gear (60).
Install one thrust washer (55) and one side gear
17-7. Rear-Rear Axle Assembly
(56) on case half. Then assemble pinions (58) and
thrust washers (57) to spider (59) and install in
a. Removal. Remove rear-rear axle assembly
case half. Install other side gear (56) and thrust
(refer to para 11-13).
b. Disassembly. Disassembly procedure for the
(3) Note case alignment marks, and assemble
rear-rear axle assembly is similar to that of the
opposite case half (28). Install four equally spaced
forward-rear axle, therefore many of the following
capscrews (54) and nuts (26), and check for free
disassembly steps will be referenced to paragraph
rotation of parts.
17-6. The differences are noted by asterisks (*) in
(4) Install remaining capscrews (54) and nuts
(26). Be sure case assembly (28) is assembled to
(1) Drain lubricant from rear-rear axle
gear (60) so there is adequate nut clearance. Check
clearance in housing (76) before completing
(2) Follow disassembly instructions in steps
(5) Torque nuts (26) to 92-102 foot-pounds.
Install lock wire (27).
(6) Install bearing cups (24) over bearings
and washer (41). Using a suitable puller, remove
(25), and install differential with bearings and cups
yoke (39). Remove slinger (38) from yoke only if
in carrier housing (76). Center complete assembly
replacement is necessary.
between carrier leg grooves.
(4) Remove capscrews (1), lockwashers (2),
(7) Temporarily install thin spacers (23) into
cover (3), gasket (4), and bearing spacer (5).
each carrier leg, making certain there is clearance
(5) Remove capscrews (43) and lockwashers
between bearing cup faces and spacers. Do not
(44). Remove gear set pinion and through-shaft
install bearing caps (20).
assembly (11) and bearing cage (33) as a unit.
(8) Using a dial indicator, measure end play of
Remove oil seal (37) and washer (36) from bearing