cage (33). Tie shims (32) together and retain for
(6) Press bearing cage (33), bearing cups (30
and 34), and bearing (35) from through-shaft (11).
(7) Remove spacer (31) from through-shaft.
Press or pull bearing (29) from through-shaft.
(8) Press pinion from through-shaft only if
replacement of either part is necessary.
(9) Remove outer retaining ring (6) and press
or pull bearing (7) from through-shaft. Remove
inner retainer ring (6).
(10) Follow disassembly instructions in steps
c. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair. Refer to
Figure 17-7. Measuring pinion bearing preload torque
(1) Perform steps (1) through (12) of
(10) Assemble washer (36) and oil seal (37) to
(2) Press bearing cups (30 and 34) into
bearing cage (33) and through-shaft (11).
bearing cage (33), until bearing cups are against
(11) Loosely install two guide studs into
carrier-to-bearing cage capscrew holes. Position
(3) Coat through-shaft (11) O.D. and bearing
original shim pack (32) over guide studs so oil holes
71) I.D. with grease specified in the current LO.
are in correct alignment.
Install inner retainer ring (6), then press bearing
(12) Install pinion and through-shaft (11),
(7) onto shaft. Install outer retainer ring (6).
and bearing cage (33) assembly into carrier
(4) If pinion was removed from through-shaft
( I ) first coat pinion and through-shaft splines with
(13) Install and equally space four capscrews
grease specified in the current LO, then press parts
(4'3) and lockwahsers (44). Tighten capscrews.
(14) Check gear set tooth contact (para 13-
(5) Lubricate bearing (29) journal with a few
6 (e) ).
drops of engine oil, and press bearing (29) onto
(15) Remove guide studs and install remaining
(6) Install original bearing spacer (31) over
capscrews to 82-91 foot-pounds.
shaft and against inner bearing (29), with O.D.
(16) Install spacer (5). Apply gasket cement to
chamfer toward outer bearing (35).
mating surfaces of cover (3) and carrier housing
(7) Install bearing cage and cup assembly (30,
(76). Install new gasket (4), then install cover (3),
33, and 34) and outer bearing (35) onto through
shaft. Press bearing (35) until it is firmly seated
capscrews to 26-29 foot-pounds.
against spacer (31). Rotate bearing cage to assure
(17) Install slinger (38), yoke (39), washer
normal bearing contact.
(41), and nut (40). Torque nut to 300 to 400 foot-
pounds. Install cotter pin (42).
while bearing is being pressed under 9 tons
pressure. Wrap strong cord around bearing cage
reassemble the axle differential.
pilot and pull pound scale horizontally as shown.
(19) Fill rear-rear axle assembly with lubricant
Preload torque should be 5 - 15 inch pounds.
specified in the current LO.
e. Installation. Install rear-rear axle assembly
Note. Preload Torque = Bearing Cage Pilot Radius x
(9) Use a thinner spacer (31) to increase or a
thicker spacer (31) to decrease preload torque