(6) Place spacer (62) on armature (78) and install
(10) and screws (9).
armature into the field frame and lever housing. Care
must be used not to damage insulation or field windings.
washers (6) and nuts (5). Install electrical lead (26) and
(7) Install brake washer (53) on the armature shaft
secure with lock washer (4) and nuts (3).
(78). Place lever (51) on drive assembly (50) and install
(15) Install gasket (17) and plug (16) on plate
the assembly on the armature shaft and into the lever
(16) Saturate oil wicks (58), (44) and (13) with oil
(8) Install lever shaft (49) through the lever housing
and install the wicks and plugs (57), (43) and (12) in their
and lever, install packings (47) and (48), and secure the
respective positions. Install plug (42) in drive housing
lever with snap ring (46).
(9) Install new packing (52) and install drive
(17) Check the drive pinion clearance as outlined
housing (41) on lever housing (56). Secure the drive
in the following:
housing with screws (39) and (40).
(a) Disconnect field coil connection from
(10) Install washer (35), boot (34), spring retainer
solenoid. Connect a battery of the same voltage as the
(33), spring (32), spring retainer (31) on plunger (38).
solenoid, to the solenoid switch terminal and to the
Compress spring and install ring (30) on plunger. Place
solenoid frame or ground terminal.
(b) Momentarily flash a jumper from the solenoid
plunger (38) through lever (51) and install adjusting nut
(29), gasket (28) and plug (27).
motor terminal to the solenoid frame or ground terminal.
(11) Install solenoid (37) and secure with screws
This places the starter drive into cranking position.
(c) With a feeler gage measure the clearance
(12) Install brush (20) on plate assembly (24) with
between the drive pinion and bushing (45). Adjust
lock washers (19) and screws (18). Install washers (25)
clearance with adjusting nut (29) to a value of 0.010-
on the plate assembly studs and mount plate (24) on
frame (11). Secure with washers (23), lock washers (22)
(d) Remove jumpers and replace connection
and screws (21).
between field coil and solenoid.
(13) Install washer (63) on end of armature.
b. Refer to TM 5-3810-295-12 and install the starting
Install new packing (15), and place frame (11)on starter
motor on the engine.
housing. Secure frame to housing with lock washers
(1) Remove nut (1) and washer (2).With a suitable
puller remove pulley (3).Remove key (4), flange (5), and
The alternator is an air-cooled, 28-volt, 60-ampere type,
preformed packing (6).
with self contained silicon rectifiers. A solid state voltage
(2) Remove screws (7) and pull flange (8) from the
regulator, with an externally accessible voltage
drive end housing. Remove seal (9), packing (10) and
bearing (11) from the rotor shaft.
13-7. Removal and Disassembly
(3) Remove screws (12), lock washers (13), and
a. Refer to TM 5-3810-295-12 and remove the
remove cover (14) from housing (36).Remove screws
alternator according to the instructions.
(15) and lift terminal board (16) sufficiently to disconnect
b. Refer to figure 13-2 and disassemble the engine
electrical leads. Mark leads as removed.
alternator as follows: