(2) Remove seal seat (5) from impeller (4). Remove
(3) Tightly coat outside of seal (15) with sealing
fitting (6) from impeller shaft (12).
compound, loctite, or equivalent. Install seal (15) in
(3) Pull pulley (7) from pump shaft. Remove oil
pump housing with stub face toward impeller end. Do
seal (8) and sleeve (9) from pulley (7).
not press seal below face.
(4) With a pair of snap ring pliers remove retain-
(4) Install seal (14) and bearing (13) on shaft (12).
ing ring (10) from pump housing (16)
Press shaft (12), with seal and bearing installed, into
(5) Support housing (16) and press shaft (12) on
bore of pump housing (16).
impeller end. Remove bearing (11) shaft (12), bearing
(5) Press bearing (11) on pulley end of shaft, until
(13) and seal (14) from housing (16) as an assembly.
bearing outer race seat in the pump housing.
(6) Remove bearing (11 ),bearing (13) and seal (14)
(6) Install retaining ring (10) in pump housing to
from shaft (12)
(7) Disassemble housing (16) as required by
(7) Press new seal (8) into pump housing until seal
removing fitting (17) and plugs (18) and (19). Remove
seat on shoulder in pump housing.
screws (20) and lock washers (21 Lift connector (22)
(8) Support shaft on impeller end and place fixed
from housing (16) Remove gasket (23). Clean all gasket
sleeve (9) on shaft and press until it seats against
material from connector and housing.
bearing race. Install pulley () on shaft.
(9) Install grease fitting (6) to end of shaft and fill
a Clean all parts in cleaning solvent, Federal
cavity of bore 60--70 percent full of grease.
Specification P-D-680, or equivalent.
(10) Lubricate the inside diameter of seat (5) with
b. With a non-metallic tool remove all hardened
a light coat of water soluble lubricant. Slide the seat
grease or dirt.
over the water pump shaft until the polished side
13-19. Inspection and Repair
bottoms against the pump seal.
a. Inspect all bearings for rough or worn races. If
(11) Support the pump assembly on the pulley end of
any defects are noted, replace.
the shaft and press impeller (4) on shaft. A 0.010--
b. Check impeller for cracks or corrosion. Replace if
0.020-inch clearance must be maintained between the
impeller is damaged.
impeller vanes and pump housing.
Measure impeller bore and shaft outside diameter.
b Install pump assembly to the cylinder block as
A minimum of 0.0015-inch press-fit between shaft and
impeller is required, replace if necessary.
(1) Rotate pulley to check for free turning motion.
d. Replace all seals and gasket removed in dis-
(2) Install a new gasket (3) on the pump assembly.
Place pump assembly on cylinder block and secure with
13-20. Reassembly and Installation
washers (2) and screws (1). Torque screws to 335 ft-lb
a. Refer to figure 13-4 and reassemble water pump
(41---47 N m).
assembly as follows:
(3) Install hoes to water pump assembly. Tighten
(1) Install new gasket (23) and connector (22) on
all the clamps.
housing (16). Secure with washers (21) and screws (20).
(4) Install and tighten water pump belts.
(2) Assemble plugs (19) and (18) and fitting (17)
(5) Close drain cock and refill the cooling system.
into the pump housing.
Star the engine and check for leaks.
Section V. FUEL PUMP AND SHUTDOWN VALVE
sembly as follows:
The fuel pump is a "pressure time" type made up of
(1) Remove mounting screws (1) and (2),
three main units. The gear pump draws fuel from the
supply tank and forces it through the pump filter
(3) and lock washers (4). Lift off fuel pump.
screen to the governor. The governor controls the flow
(2) Remove ratchet support (5), coupling (6) and
of the fuel from the gear pump, a well as the max-
imum and idle engine speeds. The throttle provides a
A Refer to figure 13-6 and remove the shutdown
manual control of fuel flow to the injectors under all
valve as described in the following steps:
conditions in the operating range.
(1) Remove mounting screws (1), washers (2)
13-22. Removal and Disassembly
a. Refer to figure 13-5 and remove the fuel pump as-
lock washers (3). Remove shutdown valve from
(2) Remove preformed packing (4) and discard.