light score marks by lapping. Replace any heavily
scored or badly worn parts.
Inspect vanes for burrs, wear and excessive
Section X. (vanes must not snap against the ring surface) a
in the rotor slots. Using a medium india stone
press the vanes and rotor flush with the ring (11).
carefully dress down all burrs. Replace rotor if slots
(8) Install pins (12) on pressure plate (7). Place
are worn. If vane tips are rounded, replace with a new
the rotor, ring, and vane assembly over the pins on
vane and spring assembly.
Check bearing for wear, looseness,
(9) Install pressure plate (6) against rotor (9)
and ring (11). The porting in plate (6) will be
roughness and pitted or cracked races by rotating
90 from plate (7).
on the shaft while applying pressure. Replace
bearing if defective.
(10) Carefully install screws (5) in the cartridge
f. Inspect seal and bushing mating surfaces on the
assembly. Tighten screws (5), the peripheral edges of
shaft for scoring or wear. If mark cannot be removed
ring (11) and plates (6) and (7) must remain flush.
by light polishing, replace shaft.
Check cover and body mating surfaced for
Tapping with a soft headed hammer may be
burrs or foreign material. Mating surfaces must be
required to maintain proper alignment of ring
clean and free of burrs before assembly.
13-42. Reassembly and Installation
(11) Install preformed packing (4) and back-up
Refer to figure 13-15 and reassemble motor
rings (3) on pressure plate hubs. Grease preformed
(1) Install shaft wiper (26) in body (27). Grease
shaft seal (25) and with spring facing out, press seal
Preformed packing must be positioned in the
(25) into body (27). Place washer (24) against shaft
concave side of the back-up ring.
(12) Install hub adapter (15) on pressure plate
(2) Press shaft (21) into bearing (23) while sup-
porting inner race.
Install preformed packing (16) and back-up ring (17)
(3) Install snap ring (22) on shaft (21).
on adapter (15).
(4) With a soft headed hammer, lightly tap shaft
(13) Clamp body and shaft assembly in a vise
(21) into body (27). Secure shaft with lock ring
(5) With rotor (9) lying on a clean, flat, surface,
(14) Install cartridge assembly on shaft (21), with
slide the vanes and springs (10) into the rotor slots.
hub adapter (15) toward body (27). Tap cartridge into
Lift vanes slightly to insure springs are positioned in
spring recesses of rotor.
(15) Install preformed packing (19) into body
size, compress vanes (10) in slots to clear the
(16) Install preformed packing (18) into cover
diameter of ring (11), (fig. 13-16).
Install cover (2).
Springs must remain seated in the spring
recesses of the rotor as vanes are compressed.
Pin (13) must engage the pin hole in cover (2).
(7) Position ring (11, fig. 13-15) on a flat
To check engagement, turn the cover 30 in
surface and insert rotor and vane assembly one-
both directions. Cartridge must turn with
quarter of the way into ring (11). Using a suitable
size hardwood plug as a driver, release the ring
(17) Install bolts (1) and tighten to 65-70 ft-lb
b. Refer to figure 13-14 and reinstall fan drive
13-43. Removal and Disassembly
motor as described in paragraph 13-38a, sub-
a Refer to TM 5-3810-295-12 and remove the
paragraphs (3), (4), (5) and (6).
battery box assembly.
(2) Unlatch and remove battery case cover (3).
b. Refer to figure 13-17 and disassemble battery
(3) Remove nuts (4), lock washers (5), flat washers
box assembly as follows:
(6), and hook bolts (7).
(1) Remove hose clamp (1) and pull drain hose
(4) Remove battery retainers (8) from battery case
(2) off the battery case (10).
(5) Remove grommets (9) from battery case 0iO).