"No Go" gauge to check for wear, beyond worn replace-
(5) Check for wear on rocker level (1) and
valve stem contact surface (2). Check adjusting screw
and crosshead threads (4) for wear or distortion.
Replace if excessive wear is found.
Figure 14-14. Valve seat insert cross section
Figure 14-15. Crosshead dimensions.
(3) If valve seat is loose enough to bounce or
(6) Check reamed depth of the crosshead bow,
cannot be reground, it must be replaced.
it shall be a minimum of 1.00 inches. The valve stem
f. Check injector sleeves for scratches on cup seat
counterbore depth on underside of crosshead shall be
area. Replace if seat area is scratched.
g. Check injector tip protrusion a follows:
i. Valve guides shall be checked per the following
(1) Coat injector cup with Prussian Blue, install
injector assembly into injector sleeve of head and
(1) Check inside diameter using a small bore
torque to 11-12 ft-lb (15-16 N m). Remove in-
gauge set at 0.4547 inch. Use bore gauge as a "No Go"
jector and check seat pattern. Bluing band must be
0.060-inch minimum in width and located approx-
(2) Check for out-of-round holes; gauge at
imately fifteen thirty-seconds of an inch from bottom
several point crosswise and endwise of heat. Check
of head surface.
guide for chips, cracks or burrs. Replace any guides
(2) Measure tip protrusion with a dial indicator.
with excessive wear or damage.
Tip protrusion must be 0.040-0.055 inch.
j. Clean valves with a buffer and polish with crocus
h. Cross lead guides shall be checked for the
cloth. Inspect valves for the following:
(1) Inspect valves for cupped heads, cracked,
pitted or worn surfaces. If posible regrind within limits.
guide. If measurement is less than 0.432 inch, replace.
(2) Check valve for rim thickness. Replace if
(2) Check guide for straightness. It shall be at
rim is less than 0.105 inch (1, fig. 14-16).
right angles with milled surface of head. Replace if not
(3) Check valve stems for scoring or wear
beyond worn limits. Replace if stem outside diameter is
(3) Check cross head protrusion above cylinder
less than 0.449 inch. New valve stem diameter must be
head. Protrusion shall be 1.860 to 1.880 inches.
(4) Check stem inside diameter (3, fig. 14-15)
using a small bore gauge set at 0.4402 inch. Use as a