cover as follows:
mark on crankshaft gear to obtain correct timing.
(1) Install dowels (13 and 14) in cylinder block.
(8) Install washers (9), lockplates (8), and
(2) Position gasket (9) and cover (8) over
capscrews (7). Tighten screws to 3032 ft-lb (4143
dowels in block. Install lock washers (6 and 5) and
N. m) torque. Bend lockplates.
screws (1, 3 and 4), snug tighten only.
(9) Install gasket (6) and cover (5). Secure with
(3) Install pointer (12) with washers (7) and
screws (2). Snug tighten only.
(4) Attach dial indicator gauge to crankshaft
Block must be in upright position when check-
flange. Rest pointer inside front cover bore. Rotate
ing camshaft end clearance and gear back-
crankshaft and check total indicator reading. Run-out
must not exceed 0.005-inch maximum.
(10) Using a dial indicator check camshaft end
(5) Check alignment of front cover bottom to
clearance. It must be 0.007---.011 inch. If end
cylinder block. Bottom face of front cover must be flush
clearance is not within limits, remove camshaft and
with oil pan flange on block within i 0.006 inch.
adjust gear or change thrust plate.
Tighten all screws.
(6) Clean sleeve (11) area and apply a light coat
Never adjust end clearance by striking a cold
of clean engine oil. Install sleeve (11) on crankshaft,
gear in an attempt to move gear on the shaft
with outer beveled end of sleeve facing front cover.
hub. Gear must be heated to 400F. for remov-
(7) Coat bore of cover and oil seal lips with
al or adjustment.
clean engine oil. Position seal with open lip to inside of
(11) With a dial indicator check Sear train back-
cover. Drive new seal (10) in cover.
lash. Backlash shall be 0.004 -.105 inch.
b. Refer to figure 14-30. Assemble and install front
Section VIII. LUBRICATING OIL PUMP
14-28. Removal and Disassembly
a. Refer to figure 14-31. Remove oil pump as de-
Separate as an assembly cover (28), shaft (21),
scribed in the following steps:
gear (22), and gear (23).
(1) Remove suction tube and oil by-pass tube (see
(3) Straighten lockplate (15) and remove
cap (14), lockplate (15), spring (16), plunger (17),
(2) Remove screws (1), screws (2), and screws (3)
washer (18) and spacer (19).
and lockplate (4). Remove oil pump.
(4) Remove gasket (20). Support cover
b. Disassemble oil pump in the following method.
(28) in V-blocks on an arbor press. Press shaft
(1) Remove screws (5) and cover plate (6) from
(21) through gear (22), cover (28), and gear (23).
(5) Remove gear (24) from shaft (25) in
(2) Remove screws (7, 8, 9, 10 and 11). Straighten
pump body (32). With a suitable puller remove
lockplate (13). Remove screws (12) and lockplate (13).
shaft (25) from body (32).