crankshaft drive gear. Install screws (1, 2 and 3) and
0.004--0.16 inch. If not within limits, gear train must
lockplates (4). Tighten screws to 20--25 ft-lb (27--34
(3) Bend lockplates (4) to secure mounting screws.
(2) Check pump drive gear backlash, it must be
Section IX. VIBRATION DAMPER, CONNECTING RODS AND PISTONS
(3) Remove crankshaft pulley (4).
14-31. Removal and Disassembly
b. Refer to figure 14-34. Remove and
a. Refer to figure 14-33. Remove vibration damper
disassemble connecting rods and pistons as
(1) Remove screws (1) and lock washers (2).
(1) Straighten lockplates (2). Remove
(2) Using a suitable puller, remove damper (3).
nuts (1), lockplates (2), and screws
(3).Remove connecting rodcap, cap
Pounding or prying must not be resorted to in
must be stamped or labeled to mate with same
removing the damper.
(2) Remove bearing shells (5). Tape
mating shells together and label by cylinder.
(3) Turn block and clean all carbon
from upper inside wall of each cylinder liner
with fine emery cloth.
Clean area thoroughly with compressed air.
(4) Remove piston assemblies. Use
care not to damage cylinder liners as pistons
and connecting rods are withdrawn.
Each rod and cap must be stamped or
labeled by cylinder as removed.
(5) Reassemble each connecting rod
cap to mating rod.
(6) Using a suitable ring expander,
remove compression ring (6), intermediate ring
(7), and bottom ring (8) from piston (12).
(7) Remove snap rings (9). Heat pistons in
2 Lock washer
boiling water, push pin (10) from piston with
Figure 14-33. Vibration damper-exploded view.
Driving pins (10) from pistons will
distort bore and necessitate scrapping of