greater than 13.142 inches.
mets are required when block has been resur-
A 0.010-inch thicker head gasket, and grom-
Figure 14-39. Cylinder block height
(2) Install crankshaft gear (14) if removed as
(4) Finish surface to 125 R.M.S.
(5) Resurface counterbore to obtain proper liner
(a) Install key (15).
protrusion. Check liner to block contact in crevice seal
(b) Heat gear in an oven at 400F. for
e. Resurface cylinder liner counterbore if block has
(c) Lubricate flange with high pressure
been resurfaced, ledge is uneven, or where liner protru-
grease and drive gear (14) onto shaft.
sion is incorrect.
(3) Turn cylinder block upside down. Lay
f Replace cylinder liner if required. All new
clean upper main bearing shells (13) in block engaging
cylinder liners shall be "prebrushed" and cleaned
tang in recess. Coat upper main bearing shells
before assembly to assure no abrasives are present in
thoroughly with clean engine oil.
the lubrite coating.
14-38. Assembly and Installation
All tangs must be in recesses before main
a. Refer to figure 14-38. Using a suitable lifting
bearing caps are torqued.
device, lift cylinder block (36) to an engine stand.
(4) Using a suitable hoist, lift crankshaft (12)
Fasten securely. Assemble plate (35) and screw (34).
into position, using hooks protected with rubber hose
b. Check all oil passages in block to be sure they are
or a suitable sling around two crank throws.
clear and open. Install pipe plugs (33 and 32) torque as
(5) Apply clean engine lubricating oil to
crankshaft side of thrust ring (11) and roll upper half-
(1)1/8-inch plug 5--15 ft-lb (6.-20.3 N m)
rings into position, grooved sides next to crankshaft
(2) 3/8-inch plug 30--45 ft-lb (40.7--61.0 N. m).
(3) lb-inch plug 45-55 ft-lb (61.0--74.6 N. m).
(6) Position lower main bearing shells (10) into
the corresponding main bearing cap (6, 7, 8 and 9).
Use sealing tape or equivalent on all pipe
plugs to insure an effective seal.
Lower main bearing shells are plain with no
c Assemble and install crankshaft as follows:
(1) Recheck all oil passages of crankshaft to be
(7) Coat lower main bearing shells (10), on
sure they are open and clean. Install pipe plugs (16) in
crankshaft surface, with clean engine lubricating oil.
crankshaft oil passages and stake securely.
(8) Install lower thrust half-rings to rear cap
(5), locate dowels to rear main bearing cap.