(6) Remove cap screws (19) and lock washers
(5) Assemble vent plug (23) and new oil seal (22)
to cover (21) and install cover (21) on housing (37).
Lift cover (21) off housing (37).
Secure with lock washer (20) and cap screw (19).
(7) Remove oil seal (22) and vent plug (23) from
(6) Assemble collar (14), bearing 13), spacer (12),
shim (11), spacer (10), bearing (9) and bevel gear (8) to
(8) Remove lock screw (24), washer (25), bevel
shaft (15). Secure with washer (7) and lock screw (6).
gear (26), bearing (27), spacer (28), shim (29), spacer
(7) Install lock screw (6) with Lock Tite sealer) or
(30), bearing (31), and collar (32) from shaft (33).
equivalent. Tighten to 70--75 ft-lb (94.9 -(101.7 N.m).
(9) Remove shims (34), (35) and (36) from
Preload of bearings (9) and (13) shall be ad-
justed to 2.0---8.0 in-lb (.23-.90 N m)
(10) Remove pipe plug (38) from housing (37).
17-7. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair
(8) Press bearing and shaft assembly into housing
a. Clean all metal parts with cleaning solvent
(37). Care must be taken not to score the bearings or
(Fed. Spec. P-D-680, or equivalent) and dry thoroughly
bearing surfaces in the housing.
(9) Place proper shims (16), (17) and (18) on
b. Inspect all parts for cracks, breaks or other
(10) Assemble new oil seal (4) and pipe plug (5)
damage. Replace as necessary any damaged or
to cover (3).
(11) Install cover (3), over shaft on housing 137).
c. Replace all oil seals.
Secure with lock washers (2) and cap screws (1).
d. Check all bearings and bearing surfaces in
b. Refer to figure 17-3 and install the stub shaft
covers and housings, for wear or damage. Replace all
gear box and steering shafts as follows.
excessively worn or damaged parts.
(1) Install shaft and universal assembly (22) to,
the worm gear assembly.
17-8. Reassembly and Installation
(2) Install cap screw (21), lock washer (20) and
a. Refer to figure 17-4 and reassemble the
nut (19). Snug tighten.
stub shaft gear lox as follows:
(3) Set stub shaft gear box (18) on universal shaft
(1) Assemble pipe plug (38) into housing (37).
(22) and install cap screw (17), lock washer (16) and nut
(2) Assemble collar (32), bearing (31), spacer
(15). Snug tighten.
(4) Install nuts (14), lock washers (13), washers
shim (29), spacer (28), bearing (27) and bevel gear (26)
(12) and cap screws (11). Snug tighten.
to shaft (33). Secure in place with washer (25) and lock
(5) Place universal joint (10) and shaft (9) ,on
screw (24). Install lock screw (24) with Lock Tite sealer
gear box (18). Install cap screws (8), lock washers (7)
or equivalent, and tighten to 70-75 ft-lb (94.9--101.7 N.
and nuts (6). Snug tighten only.
(6) Install universal joint (5) on shaft (9) and
secure with cap screw (4), lock washers (3) and nuts (2).
Preload of bearings (27) and (31) must be ad-
(7) Align all steering shaft and gear box t(, the
justed to 2.0--.0 in-lb (.2-.90 N m)
proper position and torque all attaching hardware.
(8) Install guard (1)
(3) Press bearing and shaft assembly into
(37). Care must be taken not to score bearings or
Section III. REPAIR OF STEERING GEAR BOX AND POWER STEERING CONTROL VALVE
The manual steering gear is the recirculating-ball-nut
The teeth on the sector of the pitman shaft, and the nut
type. The mechanical element of this steering gear is a
are so designed that a tighter fit exists between the two
low-friction, high-efficiency recirculating ball system in
when the front wheels are straight ahead. Preload
which steel halls act as a rolling thread between the
adjustment between the pitman shaft sector gear and the
steering worm and ball nut. The rack of the ball-nut
rack teeth of the ball nut is maintained by a preload
meshes with the sector of the pitman shaft. The ball nut,
adjuster screw threaded through the side cover, which
mounted on the worm, is driven through steel balls which
moves the pitman shaft endwise. The worm bearing
circulate in helical grooves between the worm and nut.
adjuster plug is threaded and provided with a lock nut to
Ball return guides, attached to the nut, serve to
provide proper preclading of the worm between the
recirculate the two sets of balls.
upper and lower worm thrust bearings.