(15) Place pitman shaft (10) into cover (5).
Using a screwdriver through hole in side cover (5), turn
If ball nut is stopped by the end of the worm
the adjusting screw (12) counterclockwise to pull pitman
before circuit is full, hold down the balls
shift (10) completely into cover. Back-off adjusting screw
installed with a blunt end of a clean rod and
(12) one-half turn.
turn worm shaft in the opposite direction a few
(16) Rotate worm shaft until ball nut (29) is
turns (fig. 17-9). It may be necessary to turn
centered. Pack gear housing (30) with a suitable clean
the worm shaft several times, holding the balls
down first in one hole then the other, to close
up the spaces between the balls and fill the
Tape serrations on end of pitman shaft
(10), to prevent damage to seal (7).
(d) With the ball guides (27, fig.
(17) Place new gasket (6) on side cover (5) and carefully
separated, fill guide (27) with the remaining balls (28).
place pitman shaft (10) part way into housing (30) and
(e) Set the two halves of guides (27) together
add additional lubricant. Place pitman shaft
and place a small amount of grease at each end so balls
(10) the rest of the way into housing (30).
(28) will not drop out when installing the guide.
(18) Make sure there is some lash between ball
(f) Place guide (27) into the guide holes of ball
nut (29) and sector gear (10) and install washers (2) and
nut (29). If guide does not go all the way down, tap
bolts (1). Tighten to 35 ft-lb (47.4 N m) torque.
lightly with a soft headed hammer.
(19) Install adjuster (33) and lock nut (32).
(g) Fill the second ball circuit in the same
Screw adjuster in until it bottoms, back it off one-eighth
manner described for the first circuit.
to one-fourth turn and tighten lock nut to 85 ft-lb (115.2
(3) Install clamp (26) over ball guides (27) and
secure with bolts (25).
(20) Assemble lock washer (4) and nut (3) to
(4) Install nut stops (24). Rotate ball nut (29) on
end of pitman shaft.
worm shaft (21) from stop to stop to insure that it moves
(21) Perform adjustments as described in
b. Refer to figure 17-8 and reassemble the
The threads of adjuster (33), cover bolts (1)
power steering control valve as follows:
and adjuster (12) must be coated with a
(1) Assemble new preformed packing (38) and
suitable nondrying, oil resistant sealing
plug (37) to valve body (34).
compound. Sealant should not be applied to
(2) Install plug (36) and (35) to valve body (34).
female threads and care should be exercised
(3) Install new preformed packing (33) and (32),
in applying compound to bearing adjuster, as
retainer (31) and spacer (30).
sealant must be kept away from the bearing
(4) Assemble check ball (29), check ball plug
race. Apply a suitable grease to bearings,
(28) and preformed packing (27) to valve body (34).
bushings and ball nut teeth.
(5) Assemble valve spool assembly (22) by
(5) Install new expansion plug (34) in housing
placing preformed packing (21), retainer (20), spring
(30). Press center of plug (34) to deform it outward and
washer (19), spacer (18), spring (17), spring washer
secure it in housing.
(16), and sleeve (15) on spool (22). Secure in place with
(6) Press new bearing cup (35) in housing (30).
washer (14), bolt (13) and nut (12).
Cup must be firmly and evenly seated.
(6) Install valve spool assembly (22) in valve
(7) Install pipe plug (31) in housing (30).
(8) Install bearing (22) and (23) on worm shaft
(7) Install spacer (11), washer (10) and ball
seats (9) on cap of spool bolt (13).
(9) Press bearing cup (20) into cover (17).
(8) Assemble end housings (7) and (26) to valve
Bearing cup must be seated firmly and evenly.
body (34) and secure with bolts (6).
(10) Using a suitable socket, press new seal (19)
(9) Assemble bolt (25), lock washer (24) and nut
into cover (17).
(23) to end housing (26).
(11) Press bearings (14) and (8) into housing
(10) Place ball stud (5) through end housing (7)
(30). Press only on the stamped side of bearings.
and sleeve (15) between ball stud seats (9).
(12) Press new seal (7) in housing (30) using
(11) Install adjusting plug (4) and adjust excess
suitable sized socket.
play from ball stud (5). Install lock wire (3).
(13) Insert the worm shaft assembly into housing
(12) Place dust cover (2) over end housing (7)
(30). Bearing (23) must properly seat in cup (35).
and secure with clips.
(14) Install the original shims (18) and end cover
(13) Place nut (1) on ball stud (5).
(17). Install lock washers (16) and cap screws (15).
Refer to figure 17-6 and install the steering
Tighten to 38 ft-lb (51.5 N. m) torque.