gear box and power steering control valve as described
in the following steps.
Match marks on joint (2) and worm gear shaft
(1) Place power steering control valve on linkage
should be aligned.
and connect all hydraulic lines tagged for the power
(4) Secure steering gear box with cap screw (9)
washers (8), lock washers (7) and nuts (6).
(2) Position steering wheel in a straight-ahead
(5) Install pinch bolt on joint (2) and tighten
position and steering gear in center position.
(3) Place steering worm gear box in vehicle frame side
(6) Align pitman arm (5) with steer gear box
member, and at the same time slide worm shaft into joint
shaft and press arm on shaft. Install washer (4) and nut
Tighten nut (3) to 275 ft-lb (372.9 N. m) torque.
(7) Press pitman arm (5) on power steering
control valve and secure with nut (1).
Section IV. REPAIR OF DUAL STEERING AND EMERGENCY STEERING PUMP ASSEMBLIES
a. The dual steering pump is mounted on and
See figure 17-10 for mounting location.
driven by the torque converter. This pump has a
b. The emergency steering pump is a single
capacity of 18-24 gpm per pump and supplies hydraulic
hydraulic pump mounted on and driven by the
pressure for the steering cylinders. One side of the dual
transmission. This pump is used to supply hydraulic
pump supplies pressure for the front wheel cylinders, the
pressure to the steering system in case of engine failure.
other side supplies pressure for the rear steer cylinders.
See figure 17-11 for mounting location.
Figure 17-10. Dual steering pump mounting.