TM 5-3810-300-24 & P2
THE SLAVE UNIT AND GEAR SHIFT LINKAGE MUST BE REMOVED PRIOR TO REMOVAL OF THE
To drain the transmission remove the two drain plugs. Drain oil when transmission is warm. After the transmission has
been drained and before it is refilled, the case should be thoroughly flushed with a clean flushing oil or kerosene. Clean
both drain plugs before reinstalling.
1. Remove Slave Unit and Gear Shift Linkage.
2. Attach sling to transmission.
3. Remove clutch mechanical linkage and disconnect electric wires from transmission sensors, and air lines.
4. Remove bolts that secure transmission to engine.
5. Remove transmission from engine.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Therefore no installation procedures are provided.
Slave Unit and Gear Shift Linkage.
1. Shift the transmission to neutral. If the vehicle is equipped with an air shifted transmission or two speed axle bleed
the air reservoirs and disconnect the nylon tubing at the range shift valve on the gearshift lever. Disconnect the tubing at
the splitter valve.
2. Loosen the clamps and remove the range shift valve. Cut the tape which secures the tubing to the gearshift lever,
exercising due caution to avoid cutting the tubing inside.
THE RANGE SHIFT VALVE MAY BE REMOVED FROM THE GEARSHIFT LEVER WITHOUT
DISCONNECTING THE NYLON TUBING FROM THE VALVE, IF SO DESIRED THIS IS
RECOMMENDED IF NO SERVICE IS TO BE PERFORMED ON THE AIR SHIFT PIPING OR VALVES.
3. Loosen the set screws in the universal joints on the shift control shaft (at both ends of the shaft) and remove the
shift control shaft.
4. Remove the three capscrews securing the master control unit to the bracket. It may be necessary to remove the
knob from the gearshift lever before withdrawing the master control unit from its mounting bracket.