- Prior to handling personnel, the crane and platform shall be thor-
oughly inspected and simulated lifts shall be made for each work
situation to ensure all systems and controls are functioning properly,
and all safety features provided are operating satisfactorily.
- A voice communication system shall be provided between crane
operator and personnel occupying the platform.
- Audible and visual alert systems shall be provided to the personnel in
the platform so they can signal for assistance in the event of an
- Special precautions shall be taken to protect personnel from electrical
hazards. Maintain specified distances from power sources. Proximity
devices maybe used, but not in Iieu of meeting the minimum distance
requirements as specified by Grove.
- Handling of personnel is prohibited when wind velocity exceeds 10
- The crane shall be level during operation. When provided, outriggers
shall be extended and jacks firmly set on level terrain at all times
when handling personnel.
- Handling of personnel shall be discontinued upon any impending
danger, including the presence of thunderstorms.
- Crane operators responsible for operating cranes used to handle
personnel shall be thoroughly familiar with safe craning practices and
have a complete understanding of all Operation and Maintenance
instructions provided . They shall be thoroughly trained operators with
- Prior to handling personnel, the owner shall agree, in writing, to
comply with all safety rules as specified by Grove.
- A means shall be provided to indicate to the operator the crane boom's
extended length - in feet or meters.
- The weight of the platform, personnel, attachments, and all other
items contributing to the total weight of the boom shall be taken into
consideration and appropriate reductions to lifting capacity values
shall be made prior to lifting personnel.