CONTROLS AND OPERATION
9. RIGHT DRUM TURN INDICATOR. The right drum turn in-
dicator is located on the right drum control lever. Its oper-
The instruments and controls in the operator's module are
ation is identical to the left drum turn indicator (item 7).
shown in Figure 2-1. The numbers in the figure correspond
to the numbers in the following list, which identifies the
10. SIGNAL HORN BUTTON. Depress this button to sound
controls and describes their function.
the signal horn.
Before attempting to operate this machine, the operator
should carefully study all of the information in this section
and in Catalog 240. The operator should become thor-
oughly familiar with the location and purpose of each
control on the machine.
The signal horn will also sound if the Fairlead
limit switch is activated. The limit switch is
1. ENGINE SPEED CONTROLS. The engine speed controls
activated when the boom contacts the switch
are mounted on the swing lever and on the floor. Turn the
on the top of the Fairlead.
handle clockwise (looking from above) or depress the pedal
to increase engine speed. Turn the handle counterclock-
wise or release the pedal to decrease engine speed.
2. SWING CONTROL LEVER. Push this lever forward, away
11. BOOM HOIST CONTROL LEVER. Pull this lever back to
from the operator, to swing the upper toward the boom. Pull
raise the boom. Push the lever forward to lower the boom.
toward the operator to swing the upper away from the
The boom hoist brake will set when the lever IS returned to
the neutral position.
3. SWING BRAKE CONTROL SWITCH. Move this switch to
12. PROPEL CONTROL LEVER. The propel control lever
the right (ON) to set the swing brake. Push this switch to the
provides the means to control the forward and backward
left (OFF) to release the swing brake.
motions as well as the steering functions of the crane. For-
4. RIGHT DRUM BRAKE PEDAL. Depress this pedal to
ward or backward movement of the lever controls the speed
apply the right drum brake. Allow the pedal to return to the
in the respectivedirection. Movement to the right or left and
free position to release the right drum brake.
slightly forward or backward controls the steering func-
5. LEFT DRUM BRAKE PEDAL. Depress this pedal to apply
the left drum brake. Allow the pedal to return to the free po-
13. PROPEL LOCK SWITCH. Move this switch away from
sition to release the left drum brake.
the operator (ON) to set the propel brakes and lock the propel
system. Move the switch toward the operator (OFF) to re-
6. LEFT DRUM CONTROL LEVER. Pull this lever back,
lease the propel brakes. These brakes are holding brakes
toward the operator, to raise the load on the drum. Push this
and not intended to be used in stopping the propel motion.
lever forward to lower the load.
14. OPERATOR'S SEAT WITH SEAT BELT. The operator's
7. LEFT DRUM TURN INDICATOR. The left drum turn indi-
seat has several comfort adjustments which include fore
cator is located on the left drum control lever. The operator
and aft seat tilt, fore and aft seat position, back angle
can feel the indicator move as he operates the left drum
adjustment, arm rest adjustment and head rest adjustment.
lever. The faster the left drum rotates the faster the motion
Always use seat belt when operating machine.
of the indicator, the slower the rotation of the left drum the
slower the motion of the indicator.
15. THIRD DRUM CONTROL LEVER. Pull this lever back,
toward the operator, to raise the load on the third drum.
8. RIGHT DRUM CONTROL LEVER. Pull this lever back,
Push this lever forward to release the third drum brake and
toward the operator, to raise the load on the right drum.
lower the load. Neutral position applies the third drum
Push this lever forward to power lower the load.