boom hoist lines with the boom hoist drum. Pay out line
from both drums when lowering the boom.
When handling counterweights with the boom
2. Remove the lock pins from their stored position on the
and with no counterweight installed on the ma-
compression members. Also, remove the intermediate ten-
chine, do not exceed 19 feet operating radius
sion member lock pins from the intermediate tension mem-
with the crawler tracks retracted and 24 feet
with the tracks extended or the crane will tip
3. Slowly rotate the hoist drum to provide slack in the boom
hoist line. As tension decreases in the boom hoist line, the
gantry will lower.
1. Equip the machine in one of the following ways:
4. Install the compression member lock pins beneath the
A. Boom base.
lower tension member bracket. Secure in place with the clip
B. Basic boom (base and tip).
pins provided. The gantry is in the "travel position" and the
machine is ready for travel.
2. Disconnect the guy line attached to the upper spreader,
if attached. Then attach the upper spreader to the spreader
5. Raise the boom from the blocking to approximately a
connector lugs of the boom base section.
horizontal position if the machine is to be moved at the job-
3. Move the counterweight into position at the rear of the
site. Take in line on the left and right drums to raise the hook
machine using the boom and a suitable sling. Swing the
block off the ground.
upper to place the boom over the front of the crawler.
4. Raise the boom to the maximum angle and install the
GENERAL. This machine is equipped with a one piece coun-
boom backstop pins through the boom backstop holes to
terweight for lifting operatrons. The machine boom and
hold the boom in position. The pins are stored at the base of
gantry are utilized for installation of the counterweight.
the boom backstops.
COUNTERWEIGHT INSTALLATION. To install the counter-
5. Engage the boom hoist control to remove slack from the
boom hoist lines, and to remove weight from the gantry rear
Figure 4-8. Cast Iron Counterweight (2100J970-4)