7. Seal all of the engine openings. The material used for
this purpose must be waterproof, vaporproof and possess
If this machine is to be removed from service for an ex-
sufficient physical strength to resist puncture and damage
tended period of time, the following procedure should be
from the expansion of entrapped air.
used when removing the machine from service and placing
the machine back into service to ensure proper operation of
TORQUE CONVERTER PREPARATION. The following steps
the machine at all times.
will prepare the torque converter for short term storage.
1. Dram the oil from the torque converter and remove the
PREPARATION FOR SHORT TIME STORAGE
GENERAL. Short term storage for the machine proper is 30
2. Install the drain plugs and new filters.
days or less. For the Detroit Diesel engines, short term stor-
3. Fill the unit to operating level with any commercial pre-
age is for periods of up to six months. To prepare for longer
servative oil which meets U.S. Military Specification MIL-L-
storage, refer to the topic "Preparation of Long Term Stor-
21260, Grade 1 to latest specification.
4. Operate unit for at least 5 minutes at a minimum of 1000
Separate procedures are outlined below for the machine
rpm, then stall the converter to raise the oil temperature to
proper and the engine.
MACHINE PREPARATION. Perform the following to pre-
pare the machine proper for short term storage (30 days or
1. Clean the entire machine.
Do not allow temperature to exceed 225°F
2. Touch up painted surfaces as necessary, after proper
preparation and priming.
5. As soon as unit is cool enough to touch. seal all openings
3. Lubricate the machine in accordance with the instruc-
and breathers with moistureproof tape.
6. Coat all exposed, unpainted surfaces with a good grade
4. Remove the boom and position the gantry in the travel
position (see MACHINE RIGGING).
DETROIT ENGINE PREPARATION. The following steps will
7. Repeat the above procedures (4-6) at monthly intervals
prepare a Detroit Diesel engine for short term storage.
for indefinite storage.
PREPARATION FOR LONG TERM STORAGE
2. Fill the crankcase to the proper level with the recom-
GENERAL. Long term storage for the machine proper is for
mended viscosity and grade of oil.
periods longer than 30 days. Long term storage for a Detroit
3. Fill the fuel tank with the recommended grade of fuel oil.
Diesel engine is for periods longer than six months.
Operate the engine for two minutes at 1200 rpm under no
Separate procedures are outlined below for preparation of
the machine proper and the engine.
4. Check the air cleaner and service it, if necessary, as out-
lined in the Preventive Maintenance section.
MACHINE PREPARATION. To prepare the machine proper
for long term storage (periods in excess of 30 days), pro-
5. If freezing weather is expected during the storage period,
ceed as follows:
add a high boiling point type antifreeze solution in accord-
1. Clean the entire machine thoroughly.
ance with the manufacturer's recommendations.
2. Inspect for loose or missing attaching hardware
6. Clean the entire exterior of the engine (except the elec-
throughout the machine. Tighten or replace as necessary.
trical system) with fuel oil and dry it with air.