Tools and Special Tools
Tool Kit, General Mechanic's (WP 0171, Table 1,
· "Hydraulic function" is the general term used for any of the following five hydraulically
controlled operations on the crane: boom hoist, boom telescope, upperstructure swing,
winch, and outriggers.
· Before any troubleshooting is attempted, become fully acquainted with the following two
basic fundamental facts of a hydraulic system:
1. SPEED - The speed of a hydraulic function is directly related to the system flow.
A reduction in speed of a cylinder or motor is caused by an insufficient quantity
of oil being delivered to the component.
2. POWER - The power or force of a hydraulic function is related to pressure.
· If the differences between speed and power of a hydraulic system is understood, then
accurate troubleshooting can be accomplished in a minimum of time. Follow these steps
to isolate hydraulic malfunctions:
1. Identify hydraulic functions that are malfunctioning.
2. If one function is malfunctioning, check components unique to that function.
3. If more than one function is malfunctioning, refer to hydraulic schematic. Identify
components common to all areas malfunctioning. Check those common
4. Check for proper hydraulic oil level in hydraulic reservoir and for obvious leaks.
5. Check for proper hydraulic pressures before any components are replaced.