PLANETARY WHEEL END MAINTENANCE
Tools and Special Tools
Sealing Compound, Loctite 222 (WP 0170, Table
Tool Kit, General Mechanic's (WP 0171, Table 1,
1, Item 55) Qty: 1
Gage, Depth, Dial Indicating (WP 0171, Table 1,
1, Item 10)
Suitable Lifting Device, 2,000-lb (907 kgs)
Wrench, Torque, 3/4 Inch Drive Ratcheting, 600 ft-
Wrench, Torque, Click, Ratcheting 3/8 Inch Drive,
Vehicle parked on level ground (TM
Boom in horizontal position and fully retracted (TM
Grease, Automotive and Artillery (WP 0170, Table
1, Item 20) Qty: 1
Rag, Wiping (WP 0170, Table 1, Item 52) Qty: 1
· Weight of brake drum is approximately 81 lb (37 kg). Use adequate lifting equipment to
lift and support brake drum. DO NOT lift over personnel or let personnel walk underneath
· The brake linings contain asbestos. Wear a protective breather respirator when
performing maintenance on the break assembly and brake drum.
· Care must be taken when cleaning the brake assembly. Clean the assembly as a whole
by using a solution of hot soapy water. Go over the assembly three times or enough to
be sure it is completely clean to prevent the asbestos fibers from being released into the
air and circulated in the maintenance area.
· DO NOT use compressed air to dry the brake assembly. Let it air dry.
· Failure to follow these warnings may cause injury or death to personnel.