· Solvent cleaning compound MIL-PRF-680 Type III is an environmentally compliant and
low-toxic material. However, it may be irritating to the eyes and skin. Use protective
gloves and goggles. Use in well-ventilated areas. Keep away from open flames and other
sources of ignition.
· Improper cleaning methods and use of unauthorized cleaning solvents may injure
personnel and damage equipment.
· Fire extinguishers should be placed nearby when using solvent cleaning compound.
· Cloths or rags saturated with solvent cleaning compound must be disposed of IAW
authorized facilities' procedures.
· Eye shields must be worn when cleaning with a wire brush.
· Particles blown by compressed air are hazardous. Use a maximum of 30 psi (207 kPa)
when cleaning components. DO NOT exceed 15 psi (103 kPa) nozzle pressure when
drying parts with compressed air. DO NOT direct compressed air against human skin.
Make sure air stream is directed away from user and other personnel in the area. User
must wear protective goggles or face shield.
· Failure to follow these warnings may result in injury or death to personnel.
Clean parts IAW General Maintenance Instructions (WP 0162).
Clean all parts and surfaces with solvent cleaning compound.
Dry parts with compressed air.
END OF TASK
Inspect parts IAW General Maintenance Instructions (WP 0162).
Inspect wear plates. A smooth wear pattern on the plate face mat is slightly heavier on the inlet side is normal.
If surface is severely scored or discolored, plate must be replaced.
Inspect gears. Check journals and faces of each gear. They must be smooth and free from nicks or burrs.
If any surfaces are discolored, gear must be replaced.
Inspect bearing. Bearing interior should be smooth. A light contact pattern is normal. If severe wear or
roughness is apparent, the part that bearing is housed in must be replaced. Bearing cannot be replaced.
Gear plate pockets should be free from any large grooves around the inside diameter. A gear wipe pattern on
this diameter on inlet side is normal and necessary for proper pump operation.
Inspect all other parts.
END OF TASK