b. Measure dimension B.
9. Slip on the drive flange and tighten the drive flange
and tighten the lock nut as outlined in the Adjusting Nut
c. The thickness of the spacer ring (dimension C) is
calculated by subtracting dimension B from dimension A.
3. Heat the drive pinion to 212 deg. F (100 C) and install in
on the gear shaft. Drive the pinion on completely after it
1. Mount and bolt in place the complete pinion gear into
the pinion gear casing.
Install the spacer ring on the pinion shaft.
5. Install the bushing onto the drive pinion shaft. Heat
the bearing inner ring to 212 deg. F (100 C) and install it with
a tube onto the drive pinion shaft.
2. Determine the thickness (dimension 5) required of the
adjusting screw. To obtain the proper contact on the sides
as outlined under Adjustment of Ring Gear and Drive
Pinion, correct the axial position using shims. This can be
6. Install the drive flange onto the drive pinion shaft.
accomplished through trial and error or by measurement
Torque the safety nut by turning the housing. Refer to the
using a dial indicator.
Adjusting Nut Torque Table. For torquing, place the drive
pinion in a vice using soft jaws or clamp the drive flange
Dimension A is the distance measured from the center of
with the fork support in the vice.
the differential to the front face of the pinion.
7. Measure the resistance of the housing using a torque
Dimension B is the adjusting distance for a correct
wrench. If the measured value is not 0.8 to 1.7 lbs-ft (1.1
installation of the pinion. To accomplish this, the setting
to 2.3 Nm), correct the resistance by adjusting the
required (variable according to the version utilized) must
thickness of the spacing washer. After the bearing is
be corrected with respect to the setting marked on the
properly adjusted, back off the shaft lock nut on the drive
front face of the gear.
The thickness of the washer used (dimension C) during the
8. Install the cover (7) with its shaft radial sealing rings
first installation must be modified to conform to the
(6). Verify the position of the oil circulation and return
difference between dimensions A and B.
holes. Fill the space between the seals with bearing