Page 5/(6 Blank)
Install the adjusting screw (24) into the hous-
mesh pattern of the bevel gears with blue paint and
ing (14) and tighten slightly. When turning the bevel
correct, if necessary.
gear (19), the turning torque should be approximately
13. After the required shims have been found, the
2 pounds-inch (2 kgcm).
flange (6) must be removed from the housing (14) in
11. lnstall a 0.6 mm shim (7) onto the flange (6) and
order to install the seals.
place the flange assembly with bevel gear (13) on the
housing (14) so that the marked tooth of the bevel
14. Screw the adjusting screw (24) out of the hous-
gear (19) gets situated between the two marked teeth
of the other bevel gear (13). Uniformly install the
screws (5) until the bevel gears mesh without any
Install the O-ring (22).
play. If this happens before the flange of the bevel
gear has got contact, fill the remaining gap with
16. Press the radial shaft seal (23) with the sealing
shims (4). The shims (4) are available 0.1, 0.12, 0.15,
lip facing in. Fill the space between the sealing lip and
0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.6, and 1.0mm thick. If absence of play
dust lip with hot bearing grease such as Aral HTR.
is not achieved, use a thinner shim.
17. Install the adjusting screw only to such a de-
12. After the correct shim thickness has been de-
termined, precisely adjust the miter gear using the
gear is 3.5 to 6.0 pounds-inch (4.0 to 7.0 kgcm).
shim washers (17). The washers are available 0.05,
0.1, 0.12, 0.15, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.6, and 1.0mm thick.
18. Install the groove nut (25) and tighten to 37
The bevel gears are adjusted right when they run
pounds-foot (5.0 kgm). Check the torque of the bevel
without jamming or sticking almost free from play.
The maximum backlash allowable is 0.04 mm. There
must be no play at all in the straight ahead position of
19. Torque the screws (6) to 35 pounds-foot (4.8
the steering gearbox. If it is not possible to achieve
absence of play in the straight ahead position of the
steering gearbox, the mesh has to be shifted by one or
20. Fill the space between the shaft seal (23) and
more teeth until this requirement is met. Then check
the protecting cap (26) with grease such as Aral HTR.
Slip the protecting cap (26) over the bevel gear (19).
21. FilI the miter gear with ATF oil or EP transmis-
sion oil until it flows over at the oil plug (4).