Figure 3-4. Backplate, removal and installation.
(8) Remove cover plate from clutch housing,
and face for wear. Inspect release bearings and sleeve
power take-off breather, and oil level dipstick (TM 5-
for excessive wear. Inspect fork, bar, and lever for
cracks, breaks, or wear. Inspect mounting hardware for
(9) Remove tiewires from capscrews (3, fig. 2-
burs, stripped threads, or other damage. Inspect pilot
bearing in engine flywheel for damage.
secure unit to flywheel housing (1).
(3) Inspect take-off housing for cracks, or other
(10) Use a suitable lifting device and remove
Inspect all shafts for alignment.
power take-off unit and clutch from the revolving frame.
Transport to a suitable location for further disassembly
broken teeth. Inspect mounting hardware for burs,
stripped threads, or other defects.
(4) Inspect transfer case, sprockets, chain, and
disassemble clutch and power take-off unit in numerical
backplate for wear or other defect.
(5) Repair by welding cracks or breaks. Rep air
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
enlarged key ways by filling in with weld and recutting to
(1) Clean all parts and dry thoroughly.
proper size. Replace worn or defective components, or
(2) Inspect clutch adjusting ring, drive ring, and
defective mounting hardware.
retainers for burs, scoring, or wear. Inspect clutch body