Section XXIX. CARRIER WINTERIZATION EQUIPMENT
The gas-fired liquid heater (A, fig. 16) mounted to
the front crossmember just in front of the right front
wheel, is used as a cold-weather engine starting aid by
use of an electric powered circulating pump, heats and
circulates the engine coolant throughout the engine
cooling system and the jacket on the oil pan. The gas-
fired fresh air heater, mounted to the rear of the carrier
engine housing heats the operator's cab, battery box
and window defrosters. A fuel pump, lines, filter and
fittings furnish fuel for the heater assemblies. A radiator
shutter is supplied and is also used as a cold-weather
engine starting aid.
263. Heater Fuel Pump Filter Element Service
Service both heater fuel pump filter elements as
264. Heater Fuel Pump Screen Service
Service both heater fuel pump screens as in tructed
Figure 162. Carrier heater fuel pump screen and
fuel pump filter service.
265. Heater Fuel Pump and Filter
heater are identical and maintenance
a. Removal and Installation. Remove and install
instructions are the same for both units.
(2) Remove the two screws (1 figure 163) on
each side of the name plate (3) and
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
separate the box assembly (4) from the
(1) Clean all parts with an approved
control box panel (24).
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
assembly Visually for wiring defects and
(2) Inspect all mounting hardware for
faulty parts. Check the circuits, using the
damage. Replace damaged mounting
hardware as necessary.
(3) Inspect the fuel pumps and filters for
Disassemble and test the control box
breaks, leaks, and other damage.
components as follows.
Replace fuel pumps and filters as
b. Circuit Breaker.
(4) Inspect the fuel pump for proper
(1) To remove the circuit breaker (12, fig.
Replace a defective fuel
163) disconnect the electrical leads from
the terminals. Tag leads to facilitate
reassembly. Remove the two mounting
266. Heater Control Boxes
screws (2) from the panel and remove the
(2) To test, connect the circuit breaker to a
(1) The control boxes for both the engine
test circuit which will supply 200 percent
liquid heater and the cab fresh air
rated current. Press in the