Servicing the Equipment
Note. Make certain that the crane and carrier have
been deprocessed completely before servicing.
(1) Make certain that the engine cooling systems
are full. See TB ORD 651 for proper anti-freeze solutions.
(2) Drain the engine crankcases and oil filters, and
refill to the operating level with oil of the type specified in the
current Lubrication Order.
(3) Remove all tape, and wrappings from the
drive belts, and adjust if necessary as described in
Figure 2-2. Anti-rotation device, stored position
(5) Fill the crane and carrier fuel tanks with
(6) Remove the protective material and blocking
from the clutches in the crane machinery.
(15) Inspect the complete truck crane and
(7) Check the level of the lubricant in the crane
components to ensure that all protective devices and
gear and chain housing, and add lubricant of the type
compounds have been removed, and that all lubricant
specified in the LO if necessary. Lubricate the reversing
levels are correct, before operating the equipment.
shaft drive chain.
Make a complete inspection of the machine, looking for
(8) Remove the tape or plugs from the air brake
leaks, loose electrical connections or fittings, and any
system safety valve and relay emergency valves. Close the
other unsafe condition.
reservoir drain cocks.
(9) Make certain that the hydraulic system
reservoirs on the crane and carrier are filled with hydraulic
fluid to the proper level.
Boom components are separately packed. Refer to
(10) Remove wrappings from all machined
surfaces, and clean the surfaces to remove preservative
packed in the box on the flatcar are illustrated in figure
of the items
(11) Deflate the tires to normal operating pressure.
is covered under the installation procedure for the
Note. If the lubrication order specifies OE 10 for operation,
attachment with which the item is used.
the preservative oil may be used until the first required oil
Installation or Setting Up Instructions
(12) Remove the seals from the crane and carrier
General. Set up the equipment in a
battery filler caps. Remove battery material and clean
location where the carrier will be level. Uneven terrain
may have to be leveled. Outriggers are provided to
with the separately packed electrolyte; check the specific
improve machine stability; the outriggers must be
gravity of the electrolyte, using a hydrometer. Connect the
extended and set as specified on the rating plate in the
crane operator's cab. The jackscrews must be kept
(13) Detach the crane revolving frame anti- rotation
tight against the jackfloats at all times during operation.
devices, and secure them to the carrier frame (fig. 2-2).
(14) Lubricate the entire truck crane in accordance
Extending the Outriggers. Refer to figure
with current LO with the exception of the special instructions
2-4 and extend the outriggers.
in this section.
Setting the Outriggers.
(1) Swing the upper so that the counter
weight is over the left side of the carrier, to